Dottie Rae's rotten Trunk Gutter

-

JeffisOld

Old, Ugly and generally Disagreeable!
Reaction score
I had asked about dealing with some intergranular corrosion and a few guys got on me (with reason) about my girl's trunk gutter. I ordered the parts from AMD and I will show what a mess I can make on Day 1.

TrunkGutter001.jpg

This is the drivers side top and you can see the rot where the upper curve piece slides under the rear cowl piece. I got the images out of order so you can see some holes from the spot weld cutter. I am not a body man so this is new to me and actually the first time I've ever cut a car apart like this. You feel free to laugh at me but this has had me pretty nervous. This isn't a hole in a front fender.

TrunkGutter002.jpg
TrunkGutter004.jpg

For those who need to do this you need to notice that the top piece slides under the cowl to allow correct drainage downhill.

TrunkGutter005.jpg

Use a piece of rope to tie the spring loaded trunk hinge down giving you room to work.

TrunkGutter007.jpg

After the spot welds are cut the top of the corner will go down. It will loosen up as you get more of the spotwelds cut.

HINT-you cannot plainly see where all the welds are located. I tried to tell by using a mirror from behind (bottom), but you can't.

I wound up cutting notches about every 2 or 3 inches and just bent those pieces both ways until they broke. The problem is the lip under the quarter panel will remain in place. You can see the rusty lip as I was able to identify more of the spotwelds and get them cut out. It's a VERY time consuming process. I spent a couple hours trying to work the bottom of the side piece out from the overlap between the quarter and the top of the lower gutter piece. I am not replacing the lower gutter section on either side and on the driver side there may beca butt weld there if you look at this tomorrow night.

I hope this has not been too hard to follow or understand. I am not a body man (no **** huh)

I hope I will be more helpful tomorrow!

TrunkGutter006.jpg

TrunkGutter008.jpg

TrunkGutter009.jpg

TrunkGutter010.jpg

TrunkGutter011.jpg

TrunkGutter012.jpg

TrunkGutter017.jpg

TrunkGutter018.jpg

TrunkGutter019.jpg

TrunkGutter020.jpg

TrunkGutter021.jpg

Learn , as you go . Just be patient, and ask questions(if needed..) . Best of luck , Semper Fi Gumby...

What year is the car? I hope you know that 69-up that is where the VIN numbers are located, 67-68 has the SO numbers that match the car on the fender tag.

TrunkGutter017.jpg
Well, HemiSSDart, the car is a 69 Dart GT and I was completely ignorant of what you told me. Now that you have brought that to light I will have to adjust my plans a bit. I can make sure that part of the gutter remains in place. The area giving me fits is where I was planning to butt weld in the new sheet metal.

Thank you very much sir!

TrunkGutter017.jpg

Cool, you can see the numbers plain as day on that last pic, butt welding will save them, good job!

Well, HemiSSDart, the car is a 69 Dart GT and I was completely ignorant of what you told me. Now that you have brought that to light I will have to adjust my plans a bit. I can make sure that part of the gutter remains in place. The area giving me fits is where I was planning to butt weld in the new sheet metal.

Thank you very much sir!

View attachment 1715138308

Have you done much body work HemiSSDart?

I ask in regard to rustproofing. My plan is to clean up wherever rust is visible (bottom also) and then spay with 3M Weld-Thru primer. I am curious about using Rusr-Mort or another Rust Converter product before 2K Epoxy primer and topcoat.

actually, after rust treatment/removal I was planning to use POR-15 on the interior floorpan/wheel wells and the bottom too. The POR requires topcoat almost immediately if I understand correctly.

I pay for bodywork, I have no patience so it is not compatible with my happiness, LOL! Though I have used a product called Corroless from Eastwood, worked very well.

-
Back