doubt trans torqueflite A904 Help me !!!

-

Michel

Reaction score
Hi Friends

my transmission torqueflite A904 was rebuilt
what happens is that in many situations on flat / straight roads in full throttle I relieve the throttle before engaging the third gear and instead of continuing in 2rd, it jumps to 3rd !!

I have little experience with automatic transmission and I was doubtful if it is normal, or adjustment is needed or there is a problem ???

Thanks

Hi Friends

my transmission torqueflite A904 was rebuilt
what happens is that in many situations on flat / straight roads in full throttle I relieve the throttle before engaging the third gear and instead of continuing in 2rd, it jumps to 3rd !!

I have little experience with automatic transmission and I was doubtful if it is normal, or adjustment is needed or there is a problem ???

Thanks
I've always called that "forcing" an upshift under full throttle. It could be a symptom of incorrect kick down adjustment. If you don't want the trans to keep holding second while the engine revs to the moon, you just relax pressure on the accelerator a bit, and the trans will upshift to third.
What engine? is it the OEM carb and intake, and accelerator/kickdown linkage? Upload pics if possible. Specify exactly how you adjusted the kick down linkage. The kickdown may just be adusted "too tight".

You have 2 forces working the shifts in a torqueflight. Throttle pressure (control by the kickdown linkage) and the other is governor pressure.As you let up on the gas pedal throttle pressure over comes the governor pressure and the car shifts. This is when the shifter is in drive. You didn't say if you were manual shifting and having the shift lever in 2.

Red cars have this problem more than green cars. Not sure why? Lol

I've always called that "forcing" an upshift under full throttle. It could be a symptom of incorrect kick down adjustment. If you don't want the trans to keep holding second while the engine revs to the moon, you just relax pressure on the accelerator a bit, and the trans will upshift to third.
What engine? is it the OEM carb and intake, and accelerator/kickdown linkage? Upload pics if possible. Specify exactly how you adjusted the kick down linkage. The kickdown may just be adusted "too tight".

That's what happens .. my question is exactly this? !! This is normal ?? Gear to 3rd when I relax the foot of the throttle !!
( If you don't want the trans to keep holding second while the engine revs to the moon, you just relax pressure on the accelerator a bit, and the trans will upshift to third )

You have 2 forces working the shifts in a torqueflight. Throttle pressure (control by the kickdown linkage) and the other is governor pressure.As you let up on the gas pedal throttle pressure over comes the governor pressure and the car shifts. This is when the shifter is in drive. You didn't say if you were manual shifting and having the shift lever in 2.

When the shifter is in drive in full throttle with the 2nd gear, in many moments when I relax the foot of the throttle engages the 3rd .. this is normal ??

yes, to an extent. It's hard for me to diagnose exactly from your description. IF, you have the kickdown adjusted correctly, AND you have left the gear selector in D(rive) it can do just as I described. BUT, to what extent? I don't know, I'm not in the driver's seat, and you can't descibe it well enough for me to judge. The KD adjustment can affect the shift points and shift quality. It is just a guess on my part, but I'm guessing the KD adjustment isn't far off, but again it's just a guess.
You say the kickdown is adjusted correctly, but haven't described how you did it. I asked for equipment details, even pictures, but haven't received any more info. Aftermarket or mish-mashed components can adversely affect the kickdown geometry, and therefore affect KD operation. I'm beginning to think you're trolling the site.

yes, to an extent. It's hard for me to diagnose exactly from your description. IF, you have the kickdown adjusted correctly, AND you have left the gear selector in D(rive) it can do just as I described. BUT, to what extent? I don't know, I'm not in the driver's seat, and you can't descibe it well enough for me to judge. The KD adjustment can affect the shift points and shift quality. It is just a guess on my part, but I'm guessing the KD adjustment isn't far off, but again it's just a guess.
You say the kickdown is adjusted correctly, but haven't described how you did it. I asked for equipment details, even pictures, but haven't received any more info. Aftermarket or mish-mashed components can adversely affect the kickdown geometry, and therefore affect KD operation. I'm beginning to think you're trolling the site.

I will provide photos .. my engine is a 318, quadrijet holley 650 cfm, LOKAR kick down cable ... valve body with shift kit .. torque converter Hughes 3500 stall, 4.10 gears and tires MT Sportsman 29 X12.5 ..
I feel a slight delay for the change from 2rd to 3rd in the acceleration, tire height and ratio affect ??

-
Back