Doug’s Headers on 64 A body 4 speed

-

Carmen Marchesani

Reaction score
Wondering if anybody has installed a set of Doug’s headers D450 on an early a body? And if you’ve ran into any issue with the drivers side? I can’t get the torsion bar back in place. Thanks

Wondering if anybody has installed a set of Doug’s headers D450 on an early a body? And if you’ve ran into any issue with the drivers side? I can’t get the torsion bar back in place. Thanks
Did yOu remove the control arm bump stop? Don’t know why headers would prevent this.

I had them on my 65 years ago and they fit like a glove.

2 things come to mind:
Worn out/mushy motor mount biscuits
or
Replaced the biscuits with incorrect mounts. The mounts commonly listed by suppliers for early As are actually for the '67-'72 As and are about half the thickness of the proper early biscuits, resulting in all kinds of clearance issues if you try to use them.

The Doug's I bought for my 66 Barracuda are the slip joint/flange type.

I had to pull the steering column and the driver's side torsion bar before and replace after installing the headers. Oh yeah...and a few good dents still to clear power steering coupler and torsion bar. It's tight in there!

I run them on my 64 dart 4-speed, no problem installing even for me. I did not remove torsion bar To install.

I should have said this first. New engine, new mounts, new everything haha. They are the slip joint ones. Passenger side zero issues. Torsion bar slid right in between the headers.

I should have said this first. New engine, new mounts, new everything haha. They are the slip joint ones. Passenger side zero issues. Torsion bar slid right in between the headers.
Okay, you used new mounts.
BUT- which ones did you use?
These are listed for the early As in most all parts listings now (I just used RockAuto as an example, but NAPA/O'Really/Autozone etc. are the same...); but that number is totally, completely, and unequivicably WRONG!
2266 Series biscuit:
602266_1__ra_m.jpg

This is the correct 2338 series biscuit:
2338-001__ra_m.jpg

Note the difference!
Those headers are extremely tight in the engine compartment, and any deviation in the height of the engine mounting from stock will result in clearance issues such as you described, especially on the driver's side. The passenger side has a bit more room to work with, and may not interfere as badly.
So, if you used the 2266 mounts, swap them out for the 2338.
If you can't find the 2338s anywhere, use 2710 mounts (ex.: '91 Dodge D250 Cummins) which is the same thickness and has the added benefit of built-in torque limiters (negating the need for a torque strap or chain).
2710 series:
602710_1__ra_m.jpg

Last edited:
These are listed for the early As in most all parts listings now (I just used RockAuto as an example, but NAPA/O'Really/Autozone etc. are the same...); but that number is totally, completely, and unequivicably WRONG!
2266 Series biscuit:
View attachment 1716068034
View attachment 1716068035
Note the difference!
Those headers are extremely tight in the engine compartment, and any deviation in the height of the engine mounting from stock will result in clearance issues such as you described, especially on the driver's side. The passenger side has a bit more room to work with, and may not interfere as badly.
If you can't find the 2338s anywhere, use 2710 mounts (ex.: '91 Dodge D250 Cummins) which is the same thickness and has the added benefit of built-in torque limiters (negating the need for a torque strap or chain).
2710 series:
View attachment 1716068036
Great info, doing a 340 swap to my 66 4spd cuda, this will help me out a lot!

2266 Series biscuit:
View attachment 1716068034
View attachment 1716068035
Note the difference!
2710 series:
View attachment 1716068036
I agree 100%, but will just note that with the correct driver's side mount, two tubes of the driver's side TTI header in my 65 Barracuda touched the torsion bar, where the bar snaked in between them. So I switched to the later mount for that side only, which dropped the motor just enough for the torsion bar to clear. It's still close, and I thought it might still hit when the motor torqued over under power, but apparently it doesn't.

It's all very tight in an early A body, and there's enough variance in production clearances, that what works for one car might not for another, even with the same brand headers.

That's the name of the game, you do what you have to do to make it all fit. Variance stack-up is always a consideration.
But using the short, late model biscuits does more than affect header clearances- even in cars with stock manifolds where exhaust clearances aren't as critical; will also alter (lessen) your clearance to the K frame and especially your tie rods/center link. Have seen situations where the tie rod ends' studs/nuts would hit the pan with the shorter mounts. Caveat Emptor.

Torsion bar is about 3/8” away from center. Hitting one of the pipes. Engine is all the way towards the passenger side. I will probably try and place a quality dent in the pipe. Haha
unfortunately i had to do the same with the 450s. i have them in a 64 408 4 speed. Also had them in a 65 cuda 273 auto with power steering .

-
Back