Doug's headers question

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a set of Doug's headers for my small block 73 dart. Only problem is the catalog listed for the a body (d453) only goes up to 72, and I've read somewhere that it doesn't work with a column shift. Is that correct? Or will they fit on my 73 column shift dart. I'm using a 904 as well because in the catalog it says to run a 727 I need a mini starter. (Not why I'm running a 904 lol!) There is no mention of it not working with a column shift. I just read a few people say that on FABO and other sites when I was researching about how good Doug's are.

They fit the car I put them on.

904 and column shift is not an issue.

Too bad they don't update their catalog.

Good to know I won't have an issue.

So another thing, are they any good? How do they fit? Are they good quality?

All of the above, they are the original hard rollers, install em' and forget about it.

I'm a big fan of Dougs headers, nice product, good quality and fit, lots less money than tti with a discount from some of the parts houses in US for a coated set.

fit perfect I installed flowtech on a friends a body , painful!! it fit but when you install some dougs or tti you will learn the easy way, fit perfect, just check that your engine is center, mine was of a little. tti got the dimension .removed distributor and center link lift the engine and go in!!

also I buy my dougs 2 week ago at autozone with 20% rebate best deal !!

I got mine at Autozone too.
20% off helped.
Fit great... Look great.
I am not using a mini starter but it would have made install easier.

:burnout:

Mine fit ok on the 72 Demon 340 car. However, I installed edelbrock aluminum heads and I think they are a little wider and longer than iron stock. Therefore, it was a trick with clearances in and around the power steering box as well as the steering column to steering box coupling. I had to cut my column and install a flaming river u joint which then gave me the clearance I needed to make a nice fit.

Anyone else have a clearance problem using the Doug's headers and RPM aluminum heads?

I have not installed anything yet and am just sifting through all the posts on Doug's and TTI and am looking for the fine points of installation people have had especially with power steering, RPM heads and 4 speed. Mounts will be new Poly locks or an new set of original biscuit mounts I have tucked away.

Fine points found so far are:
- one or two comments on RPM heads
- zbar modifications
- power steering coupler shaft interferance
- may have to shim mounts, steering box, wiggle everything around.

Any other fine tuning or things to avoid let me know. I will keep reading in the mean time.

I have not installed anything yet and am just sifting through all the posts on Doug's and TTI and am looking for the fine points of installation people have had especially with power steering, RPM heads and 4 speed. Mounts will be new Poly locks or an new set of original biscuit mounts I have tucked away.

Fine points found so far are:
- one or two comments on RPM heads
- zbar modifications
- power steering coupler shaft interferance
- may have to shim mounts, steering box, wiggle everything around.

Any other fine tuning or things to avoid let me know. I will keep reading in the mean time.

It fit around my power steering no problem, shaft and all, but it is very tight, you also have to make sure the starter wires aren't touching the header tubes. One issue that I had to address was my trans cooler lines ran close to the headers, but you wont have that problem becuase its a 4 speed. I also have spool mounts so I am no help there. The heads didn't seem to be a problem, but I experienced alot of header leaks using the gaskets that came with the headers, so I'd get a set of remflex gaskets and you should be good. I also am not sure about the zbar.

Either way it takes alot of wiggling to get it all in there, and things are tight, but they fit real nice while on there, I didnt have to dent the tubes or anything like you do with cheaper headers.

I had spool mounts/manula box with a four speed and ended up buying ttis z-bar for the dougs and it worked good.If you dont mind painting your headers you can get new uncoated dougs on amazon for as cheap as $386 shipped.

$352 from autozone with discounts, free shipping..

hope it helps..

Plus tax because AZ has a presence in every state in US. Add whatever your state sales tax is and get your final number. For me it's 8.75%, about 382 total. Pretty close to the amazon price at the end of the day.

-
Back