Dougs headers

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Hi guys! Read all the threads on headers, but I really have 2 important questions before I order......make that 3.

1. Am I a bit anal, or is it ok to go to the small oil filter that Dougs require?

2. How is sparkplug access with Dougs?

3. Do Doug's capture your oilpan like the TTI's?

These headers will be going on a 71 Demon 340 with 4 speed and power steering, factory oil pan.

I run TTIs so I can't really help much. I run the small filter without any problems. My Dodge ram truck runs the same filter from the factory.

Dougs look just like TTIs around the spark plug area so I would say No problems there. I can have the plugs out in less than five minutes.

Capture the oil pan? I have removed my oil pan before without removing the headers. I had to losing the headers up to remove the oil pan without getting very angry! LOL

I have Dougs in my '74 Duster. No problem getting to the spark plugs. If you use a 90 degree oil filter adapter, you don't need a small filter, and no doesn't capture the oil pan. I haven't tried my new oil pan out (Charlies) to see if there's any clearance issues, but I don't think there will be.

Iron Mike,

I am just getting finished having my Doug's installed on my '68 GTS 4 spd. When I bought the car, it had the Hookers on there.

- The Doug's spark plug access is great (better than the Hookers "up and over" tube). I went to the 45 degree angle spark plug wires.

- Since it had the Hookers already, the PO had the 90 degree oil filter adapter installed. Go with that set up.

- No issue with the oil pan (except that one header tube is pretty close on drivers side), but here's additional thoughts:

* Needed to go with a mini starter (rebuilt on ebay for ~ $59.00) for clearance issues and even then, I had to grind the edge of the solenoid

* decided to heat tape wrap PS line near the front header tube

* If it's a 4 spd, you'll need to modify the "Z" bar like the one TTI sells. Go to the sight and print off the brochure, then have yours modified. I think they wanted like $159.00 for their modified "Z" bar

* Whole operation was MUCH easier with ALL the steering linkage out/ steering box out etc.

Pete

1. Shorty filter is not a problem. I prefer a shorty over the 90* filter assembly

2. Excellent access to plugs, no problems

3. Doesn't trap the pan.

I get junkyard mini starters and use them. The full size starter I don't even bother with anymore. Hadn't tried a full size with the Dougs, so I can't answer.

4 speeds are a pain with the z bar, no doubt.

The Dougs are a good part and every bit as good or better than tti for less money. I have both brands and buy Dougs whenever the car calls for them now.

So when I go to the junkyard for a mini starter, am I asking for a Dodge truck starter or what. takin' your advice and ordering Doug's on Monday.
Want to have everything I need when I start the project.

Gotta admit, I was really on the fence.... TTI vs. Dougs.

I don't mean to high jack if i do.
Can a shorty oil filter fit in the space of a 73 340 in side a 65 barracuda? With dougs heads.

Just about any late model mopar v8 or v6 truck/van/PU will have a mini starter.

I get them off of vans and trucks all the time from the pick and pull places.

The mini starter is a way better piece than the original as well.

So when I go to the junkyard for a mini starter, am I asking for a Dodge truck starter or what. takin' your advice and ordering Doug's on Monday.
Want to have everything I need when I start the project.

Gotta admit, I was really on the fence.... TTI vs. Dougs.
just go to the store, and ask for '92 dodge dakota 5.2 starter.

Hi guys! Read all the threads on headers, but I really have 2 important questions before I order......make that 3.

1. Am I a bit anal, or is it ok to go to the small oil filter that Dougs require?

2. How is sparkplug access with Dougs?

3. Do Doug's capture your oilpan like the TTI's?

These headers will be going on a 71 Demon 340 with 4 speed and power steering, factory oil pan.

tti's do not capture the oil pan,i've run them on 2 different dusters with no problems...my friend runs the Dougs on his '70 dart one of the tubes is very very close to the oilpan,in fact he was worried about it being too close..plug access is about the same,a few tubes are routed differently though...

I just ordered some Dougs headers through summit,I ordered the coated ones for my 66 Dart.
Dougs cost..$960.47
Summit cost$859.95

Now after using the 10% discount through summit the price dropped to $773.That,s almost a $200 savings for the exact smae headers from Dougs?

Happy New Year!

I got coated ones from Summit with a 15% discount from PayPal and another 15% off from Summit, so they ended up costing just over $500 shipped. This was several months ago. I think the price for them at the time was $759 for coated. Don't know when they upped the price by $100, unless there was another discount or sale at the time.

I got coated ones from Summit with a 15% discount from PayPal and another 15% off from Summit, so they ended up costing just over $500 shipped. This was several months ago. I think the price for them at the time was $759 for coated. Don't know when they upped the price by $100, unless there was another discount or sale at the time.
It wouldn,t let me do PayPal?Maybe cause I,m in Canada?Regardless,anybody ordering these,there cheaper through Summit.Don,t forget the 10% discount code,it,ll save you shipping atleast!

Man, I must have a different Summit catalog. Right now, ceramic coated Doug's are $579.95. Part #D453 for all A bodies.
How do you get the 10% discount code?

It wouldn,t let me do PayPal?Maybe cause I,m in Canada?Regardless,anybody ordering these,there cheaper through Summit.Don,t forget the 10% discount code,it,ll save you shipping atleast!

I got them from Summit on ebay. The 15% off thing was for a very limited time, like a couple days back in march.

Finally blew the dust off my credit card and ordered from Summit. Got a starter heat shield, Grade 8 locking header bolts and some heat wrap, just in case of fuel or power steering lines being close.
Plan to start the project New Years day.

Thanks for all the input!

Well, today me and a buddy got started on the project. Need to rent a puller tomorrow to get the pitman arm off but other than that, everything is ready.
Man.....looking on both sides, I can't imagine how those headers are gonna fit down there. Not much room at all, even with the starter out.

I didn't remove the clutch "z-bar" yet, as Doug's instructions do not even mention it. I know the TTI's require a mod there, but unsure about Doug's. You'd think the directions would at least give 'ya a clue.

Pull the z bar out.

You'll have to modify it

Dougs and tti fit nice, except for the z bar issues.

[hi

i have a 73 duster do you think the dougs will fit

thanks bruce

-
Back