Doug's Headers ??

-

Suregrip391

Reaction score
I want to know the good the bad the ugly! Anyone here using them on there A-body? How's the fit and appearance? If you have them, would you buy them again or go with TTI? Whats the scoop? Thanks.

I had some on my '72 Duster...Long story short, had Hedmans, wrecked the car, bought new car, swapped motors, Hedmans were trashed, in a pinch so grabbed the Doug's. They worked OK, I guess. Fairly cheap construction, not overly impressed with the welds, tube thickness, etc. When I pulled the engine the last time I pitched 'em; they were rusted through in spots and the torsion bar wraparound was now one piece and had to be cut off. Will I buy them for this build? Doubtful. But if you're looking for cheap & fast, go for it.

Captainkirk said:
I had some on my '72 Duster...Long story short, had Hedmans, wrecked the car, bought new car, swapped motors, Hedmans were trashed, in a pinch so grabbed the Doug's. They worked OK, I guess. Fairly cheap construction, not overly impressed with the welds, tube thickness, etc. When I pulled the engine the last time I pitched 'em; they were rusted through in spots and the torsion bar wraparound was now one piece and had to be cut off. Will I buy them for this build? Doubtful. But if you're looking for cheap & fast, go for it.

Thanks for the info. Just curious, what do you mean "cheap and fast" ? Doug's headers are upwards of $500 for the set. I guess what your saying is for the money go buy the cheap $200 headmen's right? Doug's were not that impressive I take it.

Sorry, should have clarified......
This story took place like 25 years ago. They were cheap then.
Actually right now I'm considering Hedman or Hookers

Captainkirk said:
Sorry, should have clarified......
This story took place like 25 years ago. They were cheap then.
Actually right now I'm considering Hedman or Hookers

Doug's have come a long way in the past few years. I hear good quality and fit are almost in line with TTI headers. Doug's are a bit cheaper but basically built the same way now. Nice think flanges and a new ceramic type coating sets them off nicely. Lately I have heard good things about them.

If that's the case, I'll have to consider them.......again! Thanks. :thumblef:

Hi,

New here ... try to be productive. As the captioned mentions, I have these on my car - nickle plated headers.

They look good and perform reasonably well (to be fair I can only compare them to the stock iron manifolds, and they are an improvement).

But they ...

>Forced me to move the proportioning valve and are still only an inch or less from it.
>Forced the purchase of a mini-starter.
>Are only about a half inch from the mini-starter, and on hot days a restart requires at least 3 minutes wait for it to cool sometimes.
>Are too close for my comfort to the steering linkage.
>occasionally just barely hit the clutch mechanism.

So, long story short, in my case, they will come off. Thinking about TTI's or back to iron.

~Bill

I don't know about Dougs on Abody since I run Schumachers on my dart but my dad has Dougs on his 427 vette and they are actually pretty nice headers. Very heavy construction and fit well.

ls23h8b said:
I don't know about Dougs on Abody since I run Schumachers on my dart but my dad has Dougs on his 427 vette and they are actually pretty nice headers. Very heavy construction and fit well.

Fit on a Vette is a world away from fit on a Dart/Duster.

dartley said:
Fit on a Vette is a world away from fit on a Dart/Duster.

I fully understand that since I own a big block dart but the fit on the Vette is still pretty tight. My main point I was trying to make was that the headers seemed well thought out (true equal length) and they are made of very good materials. Very thick tubes and flanges, nice quality welds and the chrome is still holding up after several years (although it is blued there is no rust starting). One of the other posts in this thread seemed to imply that Doug's were cheaply constructed and this was not the case with my Dad's headers.

They are robust headers, and seem well made. But I would not put them back in my car.

-
Back