downsizing water pump bypass SB

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
I've read about this on non-mopar forums, is this feasible on a SB? Has anyone done this?
The coolant and heater hose routing on my manifold is making me take a look at this as an option- for an engine with a heater, can I eliminate the bypass and drill four 1/8" holes in the t-stat flange like the SB chevy guys do? I'll probably have to trade out my radiator to move the upper hose to the passenger side if I can't remove the bypass- or eliminate the heater, both of which I'm trying to avoid.

I've never done it but I remember reading somewhere here where a FABO guy did and his car started overheating. Hooked it back up and temp went to normal or something to that effect...

Oops, yeah I tried some different search terms and it came up. Sorry y'all.... Thanks for the replies though

So I'll ask a slightly different question: will downsizing the bypass to 5/8" be okay? That's what I'm planning at this point

I guess I'm missing something here? How and why would you want to "downsize" your bypass hose?!?

Thank you BrianT, I was wondering the same thing. Why eliminate it or downsize it?
C

Consider this x3. Why the heck would you wann do it? 'Specially if the chebbie boys are doin it. That's reason enough not to.

For the current hose routing, unless I move the upper radiator inlet to the passenger side, the upper hose runs straight past both the heater and bypass connections on the manifold inlet. Here's a couple pics of what I'm working with..
Both manifold fittings are 1/2" pipe, and while I can thread in the bypass fitting into the manifold, it runs into the radiator hose.
The vertical location is so close to the manifold, there's no way to get a 3/4" hose on there. Even with a 5/8", it'll be tight.

So maybe a radiator like this one, with the upper hose already in the right position would help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUM...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255c3f1153

Attachments

• Picture 672.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Picture 675.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 155
Consider this x3. Why the heck would you wann do it? 'Specially if the chebbie boys are doin it. That's reason enough not to.

I wouldn't say that because they're first to get all the new stuff and Mopar being the last. A better way to think of it as let them have the "trial & error" period. That way when the mopars get their stuff most of the problems will be worked out

Try a swivel like BrianT says. There are several diff models and configurations available. They are not cheap though. A Small Block Chevrolet swivel housing will fit and prob a whole lot less $$.

Why can't you screw a 90* fittin in there and point it straight up? Even a 45* would get you there.

-
Back