Drag car converters

-

gumper

Reaction score
Who is making good converters for bracket drag cars these days? I have a 9.5” from Cope in the car now, and after 8 years I think it’s showing some age on the track. My 60’ times will swing .04 on a good surface within a few runs. I can’t say I’m surprised given it’s age, and it wasn’t built for my current setup of more power plus a transbrake. I assume now I’d need an 8”, and just sending off my old converter to be cut open would be futile. Who are some recommendations? I have no problems using Cope again, but I’m open to opinions. It’d be nice to get something within a few weeks, so maybe I can get the car back on the track before this season is over.

Who is making good converters for bracket drag cars these days? I have a 9.5” from Cope in the car now, and after 8 years I think it’s showing some age on the track. My 60’ times will swing .04 on a good surface within a few runs. I can’t say I’m surprised given it’s age, and it wasn’t built for my current setup of more power plus a transbrake. I assume now I’d need an 8”, and just sending off my old converter to be cut open would be futile. Who are some recommendations? I have no problems using Cope again, but I’m open to opinions. It’d be nice to get something within a few weeks, so maybe I can get the car back on the track before this season is over.
If you got 8 years out of a Cope that's exactly who I would call for my next one.

If you got 8 years out of a Cope that's exactly who I would call for my next one.
I was only foot braking until last year which I would guess doesn’t put as much wear on it. It has done well up to this year though.

Most race units have around 5% slippage, is your MPH falling off, or is the trap RPM going up? When you are at the track, see what the Stock and Super stock guys are running?

You should continue to use companies that work for you in racing. When you switch, weird things start to happen to your combo. I would stick w Cope, they're my next Converter buy, with Turbo Action's J Converter a close 2nd.

I am using a Turbo Action converter behind our 410 with a 904 in 71 Dart that I bought back in 1983. It has been used in several cars during the years. Probably not the best for performance wise but it is pretty consistent. I am looking to replace it over the winter months...

Cope does not make converters...he sells PTC converters...

Ordered a new converter from Coan as the guys I race with have had good look with them. My valve body is from them, and I couldn’t be happier with it. They recommended a 9” spragless which will stall around 4800. Pulled my trans out today, and it turns out my old one is an 8” PTC that only brake stalled around 3000. It’ll be interesting to see how much difference the new converter makes. I’m always nervous spending lots of money on parts that may not make the car quicker.

I believe the sprag got rolled over earlier this year at the track I went to with a crappy surface. I chattered the tires a lot there which I think did the damage. My 60’ times, and reactions have been all over since that weekend.

Have had success with the new Coan 9” spragless converter. Sped up a tenth in the 1/8, and have been running very consistent predictable times.

that´s cool. How much was it? I´d like to replace the converter in my car, too.

Michael
Billet spragless converter was $1118 shipped. It’s paid for itself already since I’ve won 4 races since putting it in.

-
Back