Drag Car plastic Windows

-

Kracing6674

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Plymouth duster 440/727/8 3/4.

Looking to take more weight off the car.

Last season I made a plastic window for the rear of the car but that was a relatively easy job because the rear window doesn't have much curve to it.

My question is has anybody made any plastic windshields? I want to make one but I am worried that it will have to much curve in it to simply bent the plastic.
Can you use the old glass windshield as a mold and heat the lexan and lay it over the glass?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

The HDK Dart Mule car has a Lexan windshield. I assume you're doing a race car but I'll bet wipers
would make it a mess.

Not really much of a curve to it at all but you better see what is legal for you to use first.

142F3440-6526-4D03-AB62-CC436338A90E_zps3172000f.jpg

I have a 1974 Plymouth duster 440/727/8 3/4.

Looking to take more weight off the car.

Last season I made a plastic window for the rear of the car but that was a relatively easy job because the rear window doesn't have much curve to it.

My question is has anybody made any plastic windshields? I want to make one but I am worried that it will have to much curve in it to simply bent the plastic.
Can you use the old glass windshield as a mold and heat the lexan and lay it over the glass?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ProGlass I believe makes lexan pre cut windows for most mopars.....I have them in a 69 Barracuda, front window is 3/16 thick and bend easily to fit window....the large back glass is 1/8 lexan and it also easily bend to fit with no heating...

Car is currently parked due to needing new lexan windows...they tend to yellow after 20+ years..

I just happened to think......even if it is legal to use a lexan windshield, you might
want to use a "buzzard bar" (inside vertical brace like NASCAR uses). Stewart Pomeroy
was telling me about one time when he was racing his Hemi Colt (was Sox's first Colt)
the lexan windshield caved in on him at the top end on a low 8 second pass. It pinned
his hands to the steering wheel and he barely got the car stopped safely. Maybe there
is a rule now about utilizing a brace?

Note: The driver's window says "Seymour Guntz" on it.....a running joke. He raced it
enough times under that pseudonym that he stills has a helmet and jacket with that
name on them. This Colt was known as the "dry sump Colt" because the oiling system
allowed a really short hood scoop and you can tell which car Sox is running by noting
that feature.

I would also ask everyone to say a prayer for Stewart as he is very, very ill (thank you).

GoodSeymourColt2c_zps7402fab8.jpg
Sox_amp_Martin3c_zps56846b5e.jpg

OP. Get the word plastic out of your vocabulary. Most people will think you mean acrylic. Lexasn is shatterproof and payable but scratches easy. You will have no issue molding it. Ask about clear with UV protection so it wont yellow. They also make tented.

-
Back