Drag Car Weights....

-

JQmile

Reaction score
I have a 71 Dart that I'm building slowly into a quick drag car, and I was wondering what I should expect it to weigh after some tricks, and maybe fiberglass. 360/727/8.75 rear. So far it weighs 3200 w/o me in it and with a half a tank, spare tires, jack, snow chains, etc. I'm curious on different weights of existing members cars, and what it took to get there. Not looking to spend $1100 on an aluminum centersection to save 11 pounds any time soon, but glass fenders, doors, trunk, bumpers, etc. aren't out of the question.

Not to bring up the C word, but I have an all-glass 71 Nova that's 2850lb that I still drive on the street, just wondering if I can do that with the Dart, and hopefully lighter! Eventually looking for 10s on a budget with 350hp on the motor and then a 150hp shot on top.

Thanks!

Just weighed the Scamp the other day. 3320# with me and a half tank of fuel. Fiberglass hood and bumpers . 340, 727, 8 3/4 and 6 point roll bar. I was kinda disappointed, thought it would have been lighter.

I got my 67 Dart down to 2625 less driver. It was all steel, gutted interior,1 race bucket and lexan side windows.The car didn't have a cage.

do the glass doors bumpers hood and lexan windows, thats a big start, thats what i did but it didnt end there im at about 2500 with a aluminum motor, what do you call ppl with an obsession of losing weight lol ?

I've tried to get an idea on mine, the conclusion i came to is I'm just going to weigh it when I'm done, everyone seems to be all over the place with their numbers.

fiberglass hood and front bumper is a good start.

I think the last time we weight our 71 Dart it came across the scales at 2740,,,,,but some things have changed....Dana 60 instead of 8 3/4. And a change in rear brakes from drum to disc...

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/weight.shtml

That's pretty good...what all have you done to it as far as glass and lexan?

I was pretty happy with the 3200 number on mine, I think if I take all the junk out of it and back seat, and weigh with a quarter tank I'll be closer to 3000. I had a 67 Barracuda that weighed 2960 and had a bench in the front. Wish I woulda kept that car. Thanks for the bigblockdart link, forgot about that, I remember that site from back in the Angelfire/Geocities days of the Internet.

do the glass doors bumpers hood and lexan windows, thats a big start, thats what i did but it didnt end there im at about 2500 with a aluminum motor, what do you call ppl with an obsession of losing weight lol ?
2500 is awesome. Who's block are you using? How much did that save?

I run a 71 duster 2900 with 340 727 8 3/4. It has fiberglass hood front bumper. Wilwood front disc drum rear. 8 pt roll bar I run the bench seat as its easier to slide in and out with my bad back. I just added a 3 inch race exhaust to please some track rules. I also replaced the radiator with an aluminum one so now the exhaust difference is 10 pounds. Im trying to stay at 2900 lbs I like that weight and I don't want to keep changing things. If there were one more large drop in weight I could do I would. It cost money losing weight, like it does making power.

2500 is awesome. Who's block are you using? How much did that save?
Its a World Product block the shortblock 572 was done by Muscle Motors with B1s, last i weighed it was with a indy headed 440 = 2670 since then i also replaced with strange brakes Bobs Profab control arms and a stock lightened k member, ill reweigh this spring and i also replaced the front tires and wheels with runners, should total couple hundred off to equal about 2500#, at this point this thing is going to be pants shitting too fast for me lol

That's pretty good...what all have you done to it as far as glass and lexan?

I was pretty happy with the 3200 number on mine, I think if I take all the junk out of it and back seat, and weigh with a quarter tank I'll be closer to 3000. I had a 67 Barracuda that weighed 2960 and had a bench in the front. Wish I woulda kept that car. Thanks for the bigblockdart link, forgot about that, I remember that site from back in the Angelfire/Geocities days of the Internet.

all glass except the rear side windows ...lexan

Hi, tubby here.
I'm jealous. I'm at 3690. If I can get to 3500, I'd be extremely happy.

I got an all steel street car here so I'm not a ton of help on the gut it and cut it stuff. Are you the JQmile as in the project rust bucket first gen JQmile??

(I have a "built" 93 I mess with)

It's a bit of a dance with weight reduction because you typically counteract some reductions with some sort of safety/rigidity equipment like a cage and frame ties. Obviously it doesnt go pound for pound, and you still save plenty, but cages and such aren't light.

My 74 is 3050 with me in it. It has a cage, ties, no2 bottle and still has a steel rear bumper. Also has the rear seat and full interior

My weight savings include... glass hood and front bumper. Aluminum wheels, manual steering, aluminum heads and intake, plastic front racing seats, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, removed carpet padding and sound deadeners and wiper motor.

Someone told me the 73 and up cars were a few hundred pounds heavier than earlier models due to govt crash test intervention. So hopefully you should have an advantage on me. Hopefully that gives you some comparison to my setup.

I got an all steel street car here so I'm not a ton of help on the gut it and cut it stuff. Are you the JQmile as in the project rust bucket first gen JQmile??

(I have a "built" 93 I mess with)

Ha ha, yeah, that's me. I still need to get a good run on that truck. I just got it out of storage and will hopefully get some decent times in 2015. 5000 pounds or not, 972hp at the wheels ought to do something! :banghead:

JQ, as stated earlier, the safety equipment, roll cage etc... Re-adds weight so the dance is on. If this ride is mosy or only strip, things like the fiberglass bumper are good but the deleteing of the steel behind the bumper is a big saver of weight. Fuel cell over a tank. No sway bars, mono leafs/Cal Tracks.

Bigger ticket items really help. Tubular K-frame and control arms. Pricey mod though.

Good luck with the project.

-
Back