Drag racing can sure suck

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Just went out first round today at the Mopar event at Dragway 42
008 red, dead on with a 5.
That sucks.
But really sucks is that I went out first round Friday night in the gamblers race too. Very tardy light.
But what super sucks is I also went out first round Saturday too. Had a solid 27 bulb, was dead on with a 4, but got mopped up by a 12 pack.
Not my weekend, not buying back in, gonna watch a couple buddies for a bit, saddle up, tuck my tail between my legs and scamper home:BangHead:

Those days happen. It’s good that you didn’t buy back, as usually the luck doesn’t get any better. Pack it up, head home, race another day.

Go right now and buy back. You are so close to a good day.

And there comes a time when it will be your last run down the track, so you are there and healthy, car not broken.

GO RACE!

Hey, it got you out of the house, you got to hang out with other car people, made some runs down the track, have a couple of delicious track dogs…..it could be worse.

Anymore I am just very happy to be at
the track with family and Friends! Doesn't
matter much anymore if I ever win a round.

If I’m on a three day race weekend I usually don’t buy back on Sunday either. I know by time I load up I have a one, two, or 3.5 hour ride home and some unloading to do. By then I’m ready to see my kittys and enjoy some air conditioning, maybe watch a NHRA drag race on tv, or just hide out of the sun. It’s good to go and good to come home. Glad you got to see some friends and make some passes. I see my buddy Matt Morton won again. He’s having a great year so far.

That sucks.
But really sucks is that I went out first round Friday night in the gamblers race too. Very tardy light.
But what super sucks is I also went out first round Saturday too. Had a solid 27 bulb, was dead on with a 4, but got mopped up by a 12 pack.
Not my weekend, not buying back in, gonna watch a couple buddies for a bit, saddle up, tuck my tail between my legs and scamper home:BangHead:
That's racing. Sometimes you're the pigeon and sometimes you're the statue!

That sucks.
Well, you couldda gone out and blowed your junk up, but you didn't.

Sorry I didn’t get to meet up with ya out there. Was very busy having my family there. Hopefully at Norwalk we can meet up

That sucks.
we went thru that for a couple of yrs. , turned out to be a convertor problem for the most part , when the driver , (me ) didn't screw up . A convertor was a big ticket item for us ...

Sorry I didn’t get to meet up with ya out there. Was very busy having my family there. Hopefully at Norwalk we can meet up

Drove around, didn’t remember seeing your car. We had a bunch of family and friends too, I know what you mean.
Not gonna make Norwalk this year, but gonna go to London for the Mopar race first weekend in Oct.

Drove around, didn’t remember seeing your car. We had a bunch of family and friends too, I know what you mean.
Not gonna make Norwalk this year, but gonna go to London for the Mopar race first weekend in Oct.

Gosh I would love to go to London I heard it’s the best

Don - I feel for you as that seems to be my modus operandus too only I'm usually worse! 020 light then a -.080. How do you do that??? I find a way.

But I know you're a great racer with a gorgeous car so get back out there the next time and mow 'em down. :thumbsup:

Don - I feel for you as that seems to be my modus operandus too only I'm usually worse! 020 light then a -.080. How do you do that??? I find a way.

But I know you're a great racer with a gorgeous car so get back out there the next time and mow 'em down. :thumbsup:

Thanks.
In retrospect, I think all my luck was used up on checkin day Thursday.
The previous week, the Ram I use to pull my trailer needed brakes, so the shop we use( 15 years now) put new pads and rotors on all around.
I got about 15 miles from the track and had to stop and get gas. Heard a rubbing/ screeching noise, figured I will look at it when I get to the track.
Buddies heard it when I pulled in. Figure I will get car/ golf car unloaded, unhook then see what’s going on.
My friend Rick was checking me back off the trailer and hollers out…Stop!
There was a big *** metric bolt laying right in front of the passenger rear slick.
We are trying to figure out where it belongs. So, get unloaded and unhooked. Pull forward, hear the rubbing, go to back up, truck acts like it’s locked up.
We look inside the rear wheels, DRIVER side rear caliper is not where it belongs
Take tire off, caliper was rubbing on wheel. Missing a caliper bolt( the one we found must have hit the pavement, bounced up, and landed in front of the PASSENGER rear tire on the Dart.
The other caliper bolt was finger tight… sheesh… could have gotten killed and lost my whole rig.
Needless to say, called the shop owner, who has become a good friend over the years and he was devestated. The tech must have gotten distracted, and not went back and checked the bolts after putting it back togethet( or applied blue locktite, which was applied at some point way in the past but not for this job, it was old)
Anyhow, how that bolt ended up where it did was unreal. And it wouldn’t have been easy to find another I am guessing.
Crazy!

Bad day at the drags is still better than a good day at work! Get ‘em next time.

Thanks.
The previous week, the Ram I use to pull my trailer needed brakes, so the shop we use( 15 years now) put new pads and rotors on all around.
I got about 15 miles from the track and had to stop and get gas. Heard a rubbing/ screeching noise, figured I will look at it when I get to the track.
Buddies heard it when I pulled in. Figure I will get car/ golf car unloaded, unhook then see what’s going on.
There was a big *** metric bolt laying right in front of the passenger rear slick.
We are trying to figure out where it belongs. So, get unloaded and unhooked. Pull forward, hear the rubbing, go to back up, truck acts like it’s locked up.
We look inside the rear wheels, DRIVER side rear caliper is not where it belongs
Take tire off, caliper was rubbing on wheel. Missing a caliper bolt( the one we found must have hit the pavement, bounced up, and landed in front of the PASSENGER rear tire on the Dart.
The other caliper bolt was finger tight… sheesh… could have gotten killed and lost my whole rig.
Needless to say, called the shop owner, who has become a good friend over the years and he was devestated. The tech must have gotten distracted, and not went back and checked the bolts after putting it back togethet( or applied blue locktite, which was applied at some point way in the past but not for this job, it was old)
Anyhow, how that bolt ended up where it did was unreal. And it wouldn’t have been easy to find another I am guessing.
Crazy!
Well there you go! The good Lord was watching over you. One thing you cannot afford is your tow rig having problems.

In my move to Florida last fall, just before the last of the multiple trips pulling my 24' enclosed trailer down, I had a free oil change to use at the dealer. Figured why not as the truck needed an oil change and they rotate the tires too as part of the service. So I took it in and had it done.

Left for Florida and got almost all the way there pulling the trailer and noticed a missing lug nut on a rear wheel!! What??? So I got out my sockets and checked them and found several loose - fronts and rears. So some tech apparently failed to torque them properly!! I don't even want to think about what could have been. (Learned my lesson to check anybody else's work. Called and made a stink at the dealer and they sent me a replacement lug nut.)

So count your blessings - you got to go racing, had some fun, fixed your truck, and the car is ready to run again. Go get'm Don!

Last edited:
Just to tell you how things happen my uncle a great mechanic did a big whoops on my dad’s motorhome. My dad an electrician and my uncle would exchange labor for each other. My uncle changed my dad’s brakes before we left for ocean city. My dad remembered my uncle dropping his disk pad and when he picked it up he installed it backwards we later found out (metal
Towards rotor). We stopped at breezewood overnight like we usually did and dad said his brakes were making noise. It was all turnpike so not a lot of braking. Well I climbed under with a flashlight and couldn’t believe my eyes. So needless to say we had a repair to do
In the morning before heading south.

A few years ago I was backing my race trailer up my driveway and the trans slipped a little ( 08 Ram 1500 quad cab, Hemi 4x4 ) I checked the fluid and it was low I put some in and it was fine. I decided to bring it to a racing friends brothers trans shop just to have it looked at , he did and the trans was fine , I asked him to change the engine oil while he had it. He calls me the next day and said " there's a problem "! I figured they wrecked it on a road test or something .. turns out his " guy " put the filter on but never put the oil in then backed it out of the shop thus blowing the engine at 45,000 miles !!! What ??? His insurance covered it to the tune of over $6,000 .. it only cost me a couple hundred as I had a few other things changed while it was apart. it was apparently a big job swapping the motors. It ran great but the truck started the usual rust so I traded it on a new one a few years ago. I also broke three wheel studs on the same truck while towing to Carlisle a few years ago which was scary !! I was able to limp to a racing friends 4WD shop nearby and they fixed it. It sucks when you are in race mode and towing problems come up!

Thanks.
Crazy!
Wow! Stuff does happen and glad it didn't hurting anything!

-
Back