drag racing induction sys

-
Sorry about the quote that was a mistake. What I was saying was I do not understand why you would run a air cleaner at the track. Unless the return road was a gravel road.

LOL... no problem... As long as the air cleaner isn't restrictive (as in too small for the needs of the engine) there's no reason to not run one, but that's just my opinion...

Try running it with the air filter and housing off from it.

A little story to go with that.
When i was 17 i went on a 1200 mile trip delivering some sculptures.

The boss had bought this old ford full size van. it had a 460 in it but didn't run well at all. We did the full tune up on it and it ran much better.

Loaded up the van. and took off. we soon found out that it just wouldn't do freeway speed if there was any up hill to it.

100 miles down the road the we had burn up a full tank of fuel.
We tried several thing but what fix it was when we chucked the hole air cleaner assemble in the back and took off. Mileage tripled. wow, pull any hill..................until the eng when boom 400 miles down the road.:eek:ops:

I still, to this day do not know why the air cleaner housing caused such a over rich condition. But it did.

It's a simple test, give it a try.

Read through all the posts & it all makes sense......can't see why you'd NEED more than 830cfm, except for a maximum effort.
My .02cents in all this is :eek:nce you make the car safe, make sure ALLLL the engine specs are where they should be. Then I'd be looking at A) an ignition problem, B) a fuel delivery problem. The pump may be fine ( I kinda doubt it) but are the fuellines large enough & not kinked somewhere?
I can tell you , you don't NEED a x-ram (although I certainly see why you'd want one) as a well known Hemi engine builder tries desperately to talk me out of using one on my 528 (I didn't listen:?) so your issue , IMO, isn't an intake one........

-
Back