drag slick or DOT race tire?

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi guys, what do you think what´s the better racing tire for my Valiant? I don´t know much about race tires, i´d like to buy a set for this season because i want to know what the car is able to. Engine is a selfmade 408, i expect around 450 horses, 450 ft/lbs. torque, maybe a little more. 3.73 gears, rear equipped with SS springs.

i can get hoosier drag slicks 26/8/15 or hoosier quick time pro 26/9,5/15, same allround dimensions, already have a set of 8x15" steelies.

I read somewhere the QTP´s don´t require as much burnout as the drag slicks - and last longer because of this. So what do you think, are these QTP´s the better tire for my purpose? I don´t plan to use these tires on the street, so don´t really need the DOT-approval.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Michael

I don´t plan to use these tires on the street, so don´t really need the DOT-approval.

Just to be clear, "DOT" drag slicks are NOT DOT approved for street use. The only reason they have this "fake" logo is to meet drag rules that require a DOT tire.

67dart273:

yes, i know about this. No chance to use this tires on the street here in Germany. But that was not the plan at all.

Adam:

i´d like to keep the diameter small for a better gear ratio. You think a 27x9 will fit?

thanks so far!

Michael

27X9 is about the same size as a 255-60-15. It should fit. With a 408 you should have plenty of torque and wont need a ton of gear.

what out for it hitting front of whell well first bottom corner . aclear that its sprins or wheel well fold at top

Well I guess I am more about ET and speed.. So I say they smallest tire that will hook. Weight is weight and why put a huge tire on a car when a small one that is half the weight will do will ET better fro half the rotating mass.

I like drag radials.. Small burnout and about 17lbs of air works great for a starting point..

so anyone else can give some useful information? Today i got a good offer for a set of MT Drag radials in 255/60-15. I did not consider these before because of the higher price here compared to the hoosier tires.....read somewhere online they work really good with auto trans cars, do need little burnout and last long - what do you think? If they can keep up with my low 12 sec. plan then i should buy these.....oh man, so many choices, i don´t want to spend a fortune and can´t afford trial and error....:mrgreen:

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael. I'm not going to try and sway your decision, and yea it's a tough one. But for "track only", i'm going right to a slick. I know there is some advantage $$$ wise with some of the sticky tires not requiring tubes, but a moderate compound slick will give the best bite overall, and other then the first few heat cycles, there's know reason you'd have to burn them up. Just pull thru the water, clean them good and unless your running a nasty converter with the 3.73's, you'll get excellent bite and a lot of runs out of them......maybe years worth depending on how many outings you do.

Good Luck, and don't forget to let us know how things go...

I have a set of MT ET Street Radial in P275/50-15 on my Duster. It has 408 and auto 727 w 3.55 gears. It hooks really good and I only do a mild burnout. Wear is good as far as I've seen in 2 years at track.

Hi Michael. I'm not going to try and sway your decision, and yea it's a tough one. But for "track only", i'm going right to a slick. I know there is some advantage $$$ wise with some of the sticky tires not requiring tubes, but a moderate compound slick will give the best bite overall, and other then the first few heat cycles, there's know reason you'd have to burn them up. Just pull thru the water, clean them good and unless your running a nasty converter with the 3.73's, you'll get excellent bite and a lot of runs out of them......maybe years worth depending on how many outings you do.

Good Luck, and don't forget to let us know how things go...
x2 i will never race my car without slicks again.just a way better hook....

I would only run "DOT" radials, if I was running a class that required them. One other thing about slicks, when not using them, protect them from sunlight, and heat. The last couple of sets I had didn't wear out, the sidewalls, got dry rot. It seems like the rubber is getting worse.

Not sure if this helps, but I run Hoosier quick time pros (28x11.5). My car is driven on the street and strip. I race about 12 times a year and with short burnouts the tires hook great and last a long time (usually 2.5-3 years). Street driving is usually just on the weekends for short trips around town. This is on my 10 second Barracuda.

For what its worth, one of the guys I race with uses the same tire and he replaces them every year...then again, he also burns them hard in the burnout box.

Not sure if this helps, but I run Hoosier quick time pros (28x11.5). My car is driven on the street and strip. I race about 12 times a year and with short burnouts the tires hook great and last a long time (usually 2.5-3 years). Street driving is usually just on the weekends for short trips around town. This is on my 10 second Barracuda.

For what its worth, one of the guys I race with uses the same tire and he replaces them every year...then again, he also burns them hard in the burnout box.

are u running tubes in them? I had a pair of 10 x 28`s on a 11 sec G M C, tubless, and they held air for 3 yrs before I sold them. wish I still had them for this build. I was more impressed w/ them than any slick I`ve ever owened.--------------bob

are u running tubes in them? I had a pair of 10 x 28`s on a 11 sec G M C, tubless, and they held air for 3 yrs before I sold them. wish I still had them for this build. I was more impressed w/ them than any slick I`ve ever owened.--------------bob

Nope, no tubes. I ran tubes with them about 12 years ago for a few seasons...ran about the same.

Michael, what are you running on front?

front tires are 175/80-14 at the moment, cheap street tires. You ask because the "dont mix radials and bias ply" thing? I think this is not a problem if you use these tires track only.

Guys, thanks so far for the good information! I learned the majority prefers real slicks, seems that the Drag radials don´t bite as good.

And i learned the DOT Cheater Slicks are still bias ply / wrinkle wall tires as a drag slick, maybe another compound.

Now i´m waiting for some offers, then i´ll make a decision.

Michael

-
Back