Drag Slick question

-

swifter

Reaction score
Anyone run Nitrogen in there tires???? I would be more convenient for us since i use it in my business and always have it????? Does it make any difference??? Thanks Steve

They say that it is lighter than air,and your pressure loss takes longer over time. Just what I read in a pamphlet from the tire shop next door that uses it.

They say that it is lighter than air,.

This is not significant. N2 is only about 3 % lighter than air

Nitrogen molecules 'are' larger than oxygen molecules but only by about 2 1/2% so "in theory" N2 will have a slightly more difficult time getting out of holes in the tire.

I think the really one or two big advantages to N2 is, that without O2, the tire won't oxidize (deteriorate) internally, and of course this means you are keeping the outside out of the sun!!!!

The big big advantage is that there's no water. THIS is the big thing, really. If you let's say fill the tire from a compressor, operating on a very humid day, and the output is saturated air vapor, this means that on COOL (cold) days, the water vapor is going to condense, which will affect tire pressures

Here's one guy's opinion

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/Nitrogen_or_Air.html

Air is 78% Nitrogen to begin with, so we typically fill our tires with mostly Nitrogen already. For just about any automotive use, you'll never be able to detect a difference. Tire stores chirping up the fact that they inflate with Nitrogen is just marketing ballyhoo.

Aircraft tires are filled with Nitrogen for two reasons; lack of moisture, and convenience. A tire on a typical commercial aircraft spends quite a bit of time (sideways) in a really cold environment and then must accelerate to 100+ MPH instantly upon landing. Moisture that condensed out and froze would make for an imbalance that could interfere with the anti-skid system. And it's easier to roll a Nitrogen bottle out onto the line to top off tires/accumulators/struts than a HIPAC (high pressure air compressor).

Ok-Bob your point is?????? You don't have a opinion??? just looking for help

Helium would be one of the worst things you could use. Aside from being expensive, it's a pretty small molecule, which will leak out every tiny hole there is.

Other than nitrogen, I'd think CO2 would work well. Again, no moisture.

im more worried about have them pumped up to 15lbs, then balancing them. if you dont watch them they pump them up to 30lbs and you dont run them there...

I wasn't looking for a debate just wanted to know if it mattered because like I said in the original post that it would be convenient for us to use because we have it already.So it doesn't make a diff. and it won't hurt anything correct????? Thanks Steve

I wasn't looking for a debate just wanted to know if it mattered because like I said in the original post that it would be convenient for us to use because we have it already.So it doesn't make a diff. and it won't hurt anything correct????? Thanks Steve

Correct.

-
Back