Drag Week 2023

-

DionR

Reaction score
Any one else watching the live stream?

Looks like Cody Walker (@Walker434) left the Dart at home and is rolling a Challenger running mid 9's? Anyone know the story?

I was watching some today and will be watching more this week. There are some really nice looking cars running in many of the classes. Some people are not into the drag and drive stuff but I like to see the cars and see what they are running.

I was watching some today and will be watching more this week. There are some really nice looking cars running in many of the classes. Some people are not into the drag and drive stuff but I like to see the cars and see what they are running.

I've really enjoyed being able to watch the live stream, just about as close as I am going to get to Drag Week anytime soon.

This year feels different though. Lot's of heavy hitters missing, no Alex Taylor, Cletus, Steve Morris is there but not running a car, the Swede's are all missing. And the guy with the blue Corvette that has won before is absent. Couple of the Mopars, too. Like the Foxbody notch with the Gen3 Hemi that runs with Trunkett (who is there).

I wonder if the advent of so many other drag and drive events (like Sick Week) has burned people out or pulled them away from Drag Week.

I was glad to see the NASCAR motored Dart break the beam though, last car of the day. Guess he blew up his clutch 2 days ago and rolled through the tech line with no transmission. He made his pass with only 5th gear available, ran a 19.57 or something. :D

I've really enjoyed being able to watch the live stream, just about as close as I am going to get to Drag Week anytime soon.

This year feels different though. Lot's of heavy hitters missing, no Alex Taylor, Cletus, Steve Morris is there but not running a car, the Swede's are all missing. And the guy with the blue Corvette that has won before is absent. Couple of the Mopars, too. Like the Foxbody notch with the Gen3 Hemi that runs with Trunkett (who is there).

I wonder if the advent of so many other drag and drive events (like Sick Week) has burned people out or pulled them away from Drag Week.

I was glad to see the NASCAR motored Dart break the beam though, last car of the day. Guess he blew up his clutch 2 days ago and rolled through the tech line with no transmission. He made his pass with only 5th gear available, ran a 19.57 or something. :D
I watch Steve Morris' videos. He was saying he was just too busy with customer work to get his car ready and spend the time out there with it. I suspect it's the same for many of them; just not ready. It does feel a little different, but there is still so much to enjoy. I have to watch day one again because I missed a lot of it. Good thing is when we go back and watch it again we can skip past the down times.

Looks like Day 3 is closed. Lot's of stories, lost some Mopars.

Looks like the 70 Barracuda bent some pushrods and is probably out, unless I missed his pass.

The guy with the NASCAR motored Dart is out, must not have been able to fix it Monday night.

The Viper is cool. Barely made a 12.25 run on Monday. Ran a 6 yesterday but broke the harmonic balancer, got it fixed but put him behind on the drive. Then today he lays down the best time and speed of the event.

The twin turbo dart of @turbodart68 seems to be doing well, fast car. Fun to watch him run. And the class leader sounds to have lost the motor which puts him up into 3rd in class prior to todays results.

Cody Walker (@Walker434) is running mid 9's in a HC. Fastest late model Mopar there that isn't a total custom build.

Trunkett is leading the Super Street BB Power Adder class in his '72 Duster with a 7.7956 day 2 average.

Really sharp '74 Duster is just 0.7 sec's out of third in the All Motor SB class with a 10.4119 average coming into the day.

Couple of G3 swapped darts, one is even a stick car. Both averaging low 12's.

Several other Dusters and Darts in the mix, too.

@motorhead446 is running a BB Duster in the mid 11's.

SRT-10 Ram has been struggling, but fun to see there.

Bunch of HC Chargers and Challengers, plus at least one SP and even an R/T. And a Trackhawk that is running 10's.

Been fun to watch.

I had a fairly new hire at work today, sitting across from me. I was basically giving him some OJT.
He has been live-streaming drag week on his phone.
He finished it two years in a row around 2018, in a really nice 57 Chevy.
I get comments all day long on the guys running names, where there from, and what their best run on their car has been. Its like he has a photographic memory.

Looks like Day 3 is closed. Lot's of stories, lost some Mopars.

Looks like the 70 Barracuda bent some pushrods and is probably out, unless I missed his pass.

The guy with the NASCAR motored Dart is out, must not have been able to fix it Monday night.

The Viper is cool. Barely made a 12.25 run on Monday. Ran a 6 yesterday but broke the harmonic balancer, got it fixed but put him behind on the drive. Then today he lays down the best time and speed of the event.

The twin turbo dart of @turbodart68 seems to be doing well, fast car. Fun to watch him run. And the class leader sounds to have lost the motor which puts him up into 3rd in class prior to todays results.

Cody Walker (@Walker434) is running mid 9's in a HC. Fastest late model Mopar there that isn't a total custom build.

Trunkett is leading the Super Street BB Power Adder class in his '72 Duster with a 7.7956 day 2 average.

Really sharp '74 Duster is just 0.7 sec's out of third in the All Motor SB class with a 10.4119 average coming into the day.

Couple of G3 swapped darts, one is even a stick car. Both averaging low 12's.

Several other Dusters and Darts in the mix, too.

@motorhead446 is running a BB Duster in the mid 11's.

SRT-10 Ram has been struggling, but fun to see there.

Bunch of HC Chargers and Challengers, plus at least one SP and even an R/T. And a Trackhawk that is running 10's.

Been fun to watch.
The Viper ran a 6.407 in the quarter today, I think it was. Wow. It is running a different kind of engine; Maybe a Steve Morris SMX. Unless I am mixing up engines, which is very possible. It's definitely not a V10.

The Viper ran a 6.407 in the quarter today, I think it was. Wow. It is running a different kind of engine; Maybe a Steve Morris SMX. Unless I am mixing up engines, which is very possible. It's definitely not a V10.

6.407 sounds about right. I know it was a couple of tenth's faster than anyone else has run this year, and he had to pedal it, too. I remember hearing "SMX" when they talked about it but wasn't sure what that was.

I watch at work each day, every year that it's been streaming.. this year is ok.. What i never understand is guys act like they had no idea drag week was coming so half are never ready... have a whole year to prepare...

I watch at work each day, every year that it's been streaming.. this year is ok.. What i never understand is guys act like they had no idea drag week was coming so half are never ready... have a whole year to prepare...
Probably finances, it takes alot of cash to run those speeds, plus they are racing them in between this event, car is tired, and patched together to just get it thru the season.

Anyone have any info on the Neil Jenks '67 Dart? Gen3 and a stick, low 12's.

1695317581796.png

I guess Trunkett is out, lost a lifter or 2 on the drive.

Sad, he had a 1/2 second lead on second place in class.

Did I miss Trunkett and Thompson (@turbodart68)? Day is almost over and I didn't see either of them run.

Hope they aren't out.

BTW, Tompson (@turbodart68) finished. I don't know if I just missed him yesterday when I was trying to catch up or if they had a glitch and lost some of the broadcast.

Was glad to see him roll into the burnout box and finish the event. He pretty certainly got 3rd in class unless someone broke and bumped him up.

This year was the lowest car count in history. 288. I talked to John McGann about his thoughts. It looks like its a combination of a few things. You guys aren't wrong. The Nascar Dart had an unfortunate accident in the pits. Throttle stuck and hit another racers truck is the word. I have a text in with him to get the facts.
Dude. You are never ready for Dragweek. I try all year to get ready and it always ends up a last minute thrash. The week is so hard. I just can’t put it into words.

This year was the lowest car count in history. 288. I talked to John McGann about his thoughts. It looks like its a combination of a few things. You guys aren't wrong. The Nascar Dart had an unfortunate accident in the pits. Throttle stuck and hit another racers truck is the word. I have a text in with him to get the facts.

I missed that it was the lowest car count in history. Interesting.

Sucks about the Nascar Dart. Hope everyone was ok.

Thanks for the update. Congrats on finishing!

Dude. You are never ready for Dragweek. I try all year to get ready and it always ends up a last minute thrash. The week is so hard. I just can’t put it into words.

How does the throttle stick bad enough in the pits to hit another car. Some of these guys are inexperienced idiots.

For what it’s worth, the NASCAR Dart wasn’t on his first Drag Week.

-
Back