Drain Plugged

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Working on a water drainage issue in my 66 Valiant. Trying to locate the drain holes. Can anyone show me where they are located or

even better a diagram. I’ve been using a coat hanger probing around but can see to find them.

For what? The cowl? Floor pan. Cowl drains are off the ends (sides) out where the fenders overlap the body.

I don't know about early cars but if you think the cowl is plugged up you need to pull the vent box on the left and the heater/ vent on the right so you can get up in there. Home made tools that you can scrape and dislodge the mud. Maybe some PVC fittings, etc, taped or rigged to your shopvac to get the junk out of there

You can also pop out the 2 oval plugs on the upper firewall/cowl to get better access with a garden hose/shop vac.
1680723018183.jpeg

You may be having trouble probing for the drain holes with a coat hanger because they are covered with a rubber flap...

Re cowl, I got into it as best I could from all accesses - in cabin lying on back (seats out), reaching up thru the duct holes, thru engine bay oval holes, and thru drain holes behind fenders. After cleaning (scrape, vacuum) and chemicals (rust removers), I painted the innards using rust-converter primers and paint, using sprays, mini-roller, and paint pad on a stick. Chevy guys have it easier with a removable cowl cover. Ditto for my 1985 M-B.

Re body, look for bulged areas in the pinch welds at the rocker panels. Those form open drain holes, but are often covered with undercoating. Behind the rear wheel, there are special round plastic plugs with a bulged drain hole. Insure that is open and someone didn't install a blank plug with no hole.

-
Back