Drainage question

-

ESP47

Reaction score
My house has a drainage ditch in the back yard that runs from east to west. Basically the drainage from a handful of houses to the east runs through my backyard to a 6in drain. My neighbor said he was around when they installed it and apparently it's a 6in drain that has a 90* coupler that attaches to a 12" pipe that runs under the rest of my property, under his property, under the street and drains into a field.

I've had flooding issues 2 out of the 3 years I've lived at this house because the 6" drain inlet doesn't drain the water fast enough to keep up. If it was a 12" inlet, I'm sure I'd have no problems.

I'm trying to figure out how I could somewhat cheaply get my drainage working better. Is there a way to dig down a few feet past my drain inlet and drill a hole in the underground 12" drain pipe and make a second inlet connection without using a tee coupler? That way I'd have two drains going into the same pipe? I don't think the couplers that big box stores would work on this drain pipe and if they did, they cost an insane $550 for a 12" tee coupler.

I'm no plumbing expert so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas?

My house has a drainage ditch in the back yard that runs from east to west. Basically the drainage from a handful of houses to the east runs through my backyard to a 6in drain. My neighbor said he was around when they installed it and apparently it's a 6in drain that has a 90* coupler that attaches to a 12" pipe that runs under the rest of my property, under his property, under the street and drains into a field.

I've had flooding issues 2 out of the 3 years I've lived at this house because the 6" drain inlet doesn't drain the water fast enough to keep up. If it was a 12" inlet, I'm sure I'd have no problems.

I'm trying to figure out how I could somewhat cheaply get my drainage working better. Is there a way to dig down a few feet past my drain inlet and drill a hole in the underground 12" drain pipe and make a second inlet connection without using a tee coupler? That way I'd have two drains going into the same pipe? I don't think the couplers that big box stores would work on this drain pipe and if they did, they cost an insane $550 for a 12" tee coupler.

I'm no plumbing expert so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas?
Have you tried contacting the township about lack of draining issue especially if flooding could affect your home? Obviously that 6'' drain and 90 degree coupler are the bottle necks

Just found out it was actually my neighbor that ran the drain pipe and not the city/county so those flex tap saddles are going to be my saving grace. Thanks a lot!

It might not hurt to see if the 12" pipe has any blockage before you get too far along. Maybe you and your neighbor could team up to do it. Get a few 5 gallon buckets of water to pour down the drain, and one do the pouring and the other watching the end of the pipe in the field. If it gets there reasonably quickly, it probably isn't clogged.

"My neighbor said he was around when they installed it and apparently it's a 6in drain that has a 90* coupler that attaches to a 12" pipe that runs under the rest of my property, under his property, under the street and drains into a field."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
This :lol:

-
Back