drill a pilot hole in crank?

-

B.D.A.

Reaction score
i have a 1975 440 automatic motor,no pilot hole in crank,would like use a manual transmission,can it be done without disassembling motor.motor is out of car.is there a flywheel with a pilot bearing in it? any suggestions?

I had the same issue with my 68 Roadrunner. There is an "adapter" bearing available from Mopar that fits the non drilled crank (got mine from eBay for $20) and carries the tranny shaft. You the just cut off about the last inch of the tranny input shaft and everything goes together great. My setup has gone 6 years perfectly.

To be done correctly it needs to be done in a lathe. tmm

To be done correctly it needs to be done in a lathe. tmm

X2

You say "no pilot hole" Is this really true? Any I've seen were drilled, just not deep enough nor large enough diameter.

The ones I've been around were not deep enough by only about 1/4--3/8" so not much of the shaft needed to be cut off. You can use the late mode Jeep style pilot which fits in the larger outer crank bore.

X2

You say "no pilot hole" Is this really true? Any I've seen were drilled, just not deep enough nor large enough diameter.

The ones I've been around were not deep enough by only about 1/4--3/8" so not much of the shaft needed to be cut off. You can use the late mode Jeep style pilot which fits in the larger outer crank bore.

Do not bother with drilling the crank. Use the Jeep bearing, cut the end on the input shaft (file the edge to a bevel), and be done with it.

Question, is this a forged or cast crank? The balance is different and you need a flywheel that matches. It will cause you many sleepless nights if you get it wrong. Trust me.

I drilled two of them already. One car had a numbered 70 Hemi Cuda 18 spline trans did not want to cut the shaft. I rented a magnetic drill press and done both in the car time consuming PITA but worked fine for me.

-
Back