Drip rail shaving

-

niceolddart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone shaved off the drip rail off their Duster? Not the moldings, but the complete drip rails. I've seen it done on Hot Rods & such & I have the tools & skill to do it, just wondering if anyone here has done it before on this car specifically & give me any pointers on going about it. It's not a 340 Duster or anything, just a plain jane slant six car that needs a lot of body work, but all the main parts are really solid, floors, frame rails, all the important things, so I'm making it a nice custom car. I know it takes a lot of time to do it right, but is there anything specific on a Duster you need to know, or should I leave them on because of it being very difficult?
What is your 2 cents? Again, it's being saved from being a parts car or worse & it's NOT a factory 340 car.

I understand your interest in shaving to be different. My 2 cents are: it’s your car, do it if that’s what you want to do. I personally like the drip rail especially with the stainless steel covering. But I also like my cars to look more factory looking. I appreciate the work involved with “custom.” But sadly those features wear with the test of time. 20” wheels and trendy paint jobs- again are really cool today but long term look dated. Again just my opinion and that’s what you asked for.
Remember- your car, do it your way. That is where I really appreciate the skill and energy.

One thing's for sure. If you do it, you'll find out why they're called drip rails. lol It's your car man. Go for it. Keep us posted. I'd like to see the results. Although I'd never do it, I like different ideas.

"Again, it's being saved from being a parts car or worse & it's NOT a factory 340 car."
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It was done on ProStock drag cars for aerodynamics.

237C8896-99BC-44CB-9174-4039A518DCC1.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies. Just so you all know, I am NOT doing a full custom job on this car. I like stock appearing too, just going to do some slight mods that the average person won't notice, only people in the know. I like the stainless drip rail moldings myself, but I want to smooth some things out like using 1968 side marker lights, cleaner, tighter fitting bumpers from a 70-72 maybe, subtle things like that. I'm going to use bucket seats of a 95 Dakota I had, but mostly factory appearing. I know it's a lot of work & very time consuming, bet hey, I've got the time & knowledge. I will post some pics from time to time. I did buy the car from someone on this site which I consider a friend now, even though we're 2-3 hours away from each other.
Well, getting ready to go to Carlisle next month.
Thanks again for the replies.
P.S. RRR, I know not having drip rails is asking to get wet, (Just look at these "newer cars" none of them have them) but I don't plan on using it in the rain on purpose, besides, if I get wet, I was told **** floats, so I don't have too much to worry about. :lol:

I wanted to go look at a couple of projects recently, but a POs had removed the drop rails so I declined. Yea I could obtain drips rails and reattach but I said screw it. I had a 71 Demon once a PO had removed the drip rails from, WHY I have NO idea. The only damn thing he did to the car good or bad. I an see drip rails maybe being an issue with the cars that came with the cursed vinyl tops though!
Like said make the car like you want but remember if you ever sell, anything you do will be either positive or negative!!

I wonder though if it made "that" much of a difference.
In theory at least. Racers were looking at every little thing they could think of. Could have been for weight reduction also. I know it's not much but the rail underneath the weatherstrip was bored full of holes also.

I wanted to go look at a couple of projects recently, but a POs had removed the drop rails so I declined. Yea I could obtain drips rails and reattach but I said screw it. I had a 71 Demon once a PO had removed the drip rails from, WHY I have NO idea. The only damn thing he did to the car good or bad. I an see drip rails maybe being an issue with the cars that came with the cursed vinyl tops though!
Like said make the car like you want but remember if you ever sell, anything you do will be either positive or negative!!
I can understand passing on a car because of that. Shaving drip rails should be done right, which I plan on doing. Lots of time doing the job correctly, with minimal filler, is what I am going to do. If & when I sell it, I won't be in it to re-coup my money. The car DID have the canopy vinyl roof, but it wasn't bad underneath, thank God.

Thanks for all the replies. Just so you all know, I am NOT doing a full custom job on this car. I like stock appearing too, just going to do some slight mods that the average person won't notice, only people in the know. I like the stainless drip rail moldings myself, but I want to smooth some things out like using 1968 side marker lights, cleaner, tighter fitting bumpers from a 70-72 maybe, subtle things like that. I'm going to use bucket seats of a 95 Dakota I had, but mostly factory appearing. I know it's a lot of work & very time consuming, bet hey, I've got the time & knowledge. I will post some pics from time to time. I did buy the car from someone on this site which I consider a friend now, even though we're 2-3 hours away from each other.
Well, getting ready to go to Carlisle next month.
Thanks again for the replies.
P.S. RRR, I know not having drip rails is asking to get wet, (Just look at these "newer cars" none of them have them) but I don't plan on using it in the rain on purpose, besides, if I get wet, I was told **** floats, so I don't have too much to worry about. :lol:
:rofl:

Youtube is your friend. Not a Duster but

I just watched this video & saw how he is doing, pretty much, exactly what I plan on doing to my Duster. He's doing it RIGHT! It takes a lot of time to do these mods, but definitely worth it in the long run.
Thanks for posting this video A56. I subscribed to his channel so I can watch the progress. By the way, my first muscle car was a 71 Road Runner, my favorite year.

-
Back