Drive shaft driving me crazy

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
I bought a drive shaft that's supposed to be out of a 69 barracuda. I think the length is supposed to be 44.88, and there is a number where the u joints are that is (I think) 2883630 and "detroit" I can't find that number anywhere on the web. Can anyone help me out, am I supposed to measure the length from u joint center to u joint center? Does anyone have a pic of what the drive shaft should look like..my car didn't have one when I bought it. Am I seeing the numbers wrong. If not can anyone help me find what this drive shaft went to. Any help is much appreciated.
20180609_172159.jpg
20180609_172311.jpg

I recently had a drive shaft made for my 71 Barracuda. The shop told me to push the slip joint all the way into the transmission and then pull out approx 3/4 inch. Measure from the center of the u-joint on the slip joint to the center of the u-joint at the rear end. Car should have rear suspension in normal driving height. I deviated a little and just pushed the slip joint all the way in, measured and then subtracted 3/4 inch to get the total length.

I bought a used OE drive shaft and the shaft number was on the shaft not the yoke. I had a hell of a time finging it but with some steel wool and effort i finally found it. From what i have seen if the shaft has round weights it might not be OE. I think the number was towards the trans end but dont quote me on that.

I recently had a drive shaft made for my 71 Barracuda. The shop told me to push the slip joint all the way into the transmission and then pull out approx 3/4 inch. Measure from the center of the u-joint on the slip joint to the center of the u-joint at the rear end. Car should have rear suspension in normal driving height. I deviated a little and just pushed the slip joint all the way in, measured and then subtracted 3/4 inch to get the total length.
I measured from center to center on the u joints and it came out to almost 45 in. But the numbers don't match up. The part number for a 68 barracuda drive shaft 340/383 auto w/8 3/4 is 2852216 and that's not what's on the one I have. If I could find what the numbers on the drive shaft I bought go to, maybe I could cross reference to see what it goes to. And see if would fit my car. I don't know if the u joints are supposed to be a certain size or what. I can't find anything mopar that matches the numbers on the one I bought.

I bought a used OE drive shaft and the shaft number was on the shaft not the yoke. I had a hell of a time finging it but with some steel wool and effort i finally found it. From what i have seen if the shaft has round weights it might not be OE. I think the number was towards the trans end but dont quote me on that.
I don't think the one I bought has any weights now that you mention it. Should it have?

Weights are used to balance the shaft. I had a little vibration and took my driveshaft in for balancing. No vibration after balancing. This was an old school shop. His weights look like washers.

Weights are used to balance the shaft. I had a little vibration and took my driveshaft in for balancing. No vibration after balancing. This was an old school shop. His weights look like washers.
Mine has no weights on it.

2883636 is listed for a 1970/71 Barracuda-383 @ 43.6 and with 7290 joints; fits longtails and 8.75
My chart does not list the 44.88.
It does list a 48.88... which might be a misprint.
The 48.88 is listed for 68/69 Barracuda longtails and 8.75s with 7290 joints; that would be 340/383 with a 727. I can't imagine that the chart is right about 48.88; it seems way too long.
A 69 Barracuda with a longtail and 8.75 is one of the shortest 67 up shafts out there. Only the 70 up Barracudas with the set-back engines are shorter.

Last edited:
2883636 is listed for a 1970/71 Barracuda-383 @ 43.6 and with 7290 joints; fits longtails and 8.75
I found a number that is 2882216 that is supposed to be the part number for a 68 barracuda. But I can't find that number on the drive shaft itself. I found a yoke number that I confirmed, but just haven't found the shaft number. The measurement is a little past 44 1/2

-
Back