drive shaft hoop

-

project360

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out where the hoop goes or where it is best suited.
-more twords the rear or closer to the middle.

thanks.

I think the NHRA rulebook actually specifies a location range for the loop. From what I've seen I think they tend to almost be more forward than anything. I think it was Mancini or someone who had a bolt in loop that mounted off of the transmission crossmember. That might give you an idea where to locate one.

Quotes from a vendor site, Hopes this helps

"Here is the complete specification word for word."

2.4 DRIVELINE

On any car in which the driver sits over or in back of the rearend center section, a suitable protective shield of .120-inch (3 mm) minimum thickness steel plate must be installed for those units with universal joints securely mounted to the rearend center section and the bellhousing adapter. Where possible, couplers are recommended in place of U-joints. For straight couplers, the minimum requirement is .063-inch (1.6 mm) aluminum which must contain an inspection cover for removal and inspection of the coupler, securely mounted to the rearend center section and the bellhousing adapter, or as noted in Class Requirements. In place of a crossmember, in the vicinity of the front universal joint, all cars in competition using open driveshafts, must have a retainer loop 360-degrees of enclosure, 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) minimum thickness and 2-inches (5.1 cm) wide, or 7/8-inch (22.2 mm) x .065-inch (1.65 mm) welded steel tubing, securely mounted and located within 6-inches (15.2 cm) of the front universal joint for support of the driveshaft in event of U-joint failure. Recommended the loop be round rather than oblong to minimize loading on loop. Open drivelines passing any part of the driver's body must be completely enclosed in 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) minimum thickness steel plate, securely mounted to the frame or frame structure.

If I remember right, no more than 6 inches back from the tail of the transmission.

Correct on the 6" max rule, but I think it's from the u-joint itself, not the housing. The idea is to keep the front of the driveshaft from digging into the ground if the front u-joint breaks as well as to keep the front of it from wipping around and possibly into the driver's compartment.

-
Back