Driver for mileage

-
Anyone else out there looking at good gas mileage cars for a daily driver. Never worried about it before but now i,m looking into getting something cheap to daily drive. Include what youve looked at what kind of mileage it gets and any opinions you have of cars youve checked out . All input apreciated. I am currently considering a caliber or maybe one of those neat looking little mazda hatchbacks.:read2:
ill sell u a slant 6 and A-904 trans for 50 bucks. put it in a van or any abody u have layin around. theres ur 25mpg

I get bout 21 out of my 2wd 4.7 Dakota QC. That is if i can keep my foot out of it, lol. I not really done much highway driving so not sure bout that mileage. It has 3.55 gears and i have made a true dual exhaust system for it and it also has a K&N. I have got bout 23 out of my Scamp one time last summer of just normal town to town driving. It has the 2.45 rear gear. I got a sure grip 3.55 set up for it but with gas prices like they are, i may hold off.

2.jpg

1997 Ram 1/2 4wd gets 18 combo driving consistantly.
It picks up a few mpg on highway if I keep it under 65. Anything over 65 consistantly, and the rpm, even with the od, are up, so anything 65-80 gets 15 mpg.
K&N, Headers, Magnaflow converter, magnaflow exhaust, Taylor wires and fresh tune up.

It runs, no matter what, and I cannot justify monthly payments. Unless I find a total "beater with a heater" the money I would save in fuel, would be blown on payment and then some, plus more registration fees, property tax, and insurance.

Dart Lite, to be determined.
I am driving on the first full tank of gas right now. As equipped with the 3speed, it does not like anything over 55 mph.
Stock 1 bbl (no accelerator pump), and intake, rattling exhaust that Y off under driver seat, to duals with glasspacks (Yuk). 3 speed manual, and 7.25 rear end.

My 07 Charger R/T Daytona currently gets 27-30 at 65-70 on the hwy (making sure that the cylinder deactivation or MDS is working) and 15-18 in the city. Not bad for a 4,200 lb beast that runs mid 13's.

I had a slant six 76 Duster for a while with a 4 spd. 30 mpg were easy on the highway and it only turned 1,800 rpm in 4th/OD.

-Justin

40 to 42 mpg and low 10 sec. 1/4 mile......

A/C works great in winter and heater only works in summer.

BlackbirdDone-1.jpg

my daughters 2005 cavalier, 30 plus average...highway 33-35
My other daughter drives a 2001 neon ...28 city 30-32 hiway
I have a 2000 buick lesabre ,v6 ,loaded , real comfy ride. it gets 28 average have nt taken any trips yet. but i ll bet it sees 30 +..and american cars to boot..
My hemi ram 2003 4x4,w/ 3.91s...as much as 20 hiway, as little as 10 climbing the hills here.

I have noticed the area of the country that i am driving in changes milage quite a lot.... sea level and no hills make a big improvement ...
on one trip from key largo fla . to willmington north carolina ..2002 ram 4x4 w/ 5.9 and 3.55s ...i got over 20 mpg.....same truck up here in NY , best i ever got was 16 hiway...

It's do-able. Mine's a 273, 30 over with 10 to 1's and a mild Isky cam. 3 on the tree. 21 MPG highway.

I`m doing my 67 Barracuda convertible with a low performance 273, hoping for 20mpg highway???

FWIW, on a recent trip in my 64 Barracuda with a stock Commando 273 and stock drivetrain and automatic, I got 17mpg. And that was on secondary roads. I think it might do better if I was just on the highway. Just gotta keep those secondaries closed!

ill sell u a slant 6 and A-904 trans for 50 bucks. put it in a van or any abody u have layin around. theres ur 25mpg

Thanks for the offer but this is for the wife and i dont think she knows the paper clip trick when the ballast resistor bails so I gotta buy her a new one. If it breaks triple a will rescue her. lol

I drive my 1966 Dart Wagon 3.9 with orerdrive and avg a good 22 miles per gal on the highway with the air cond on.

I was going to put my stroker motor in my Valiant, but am really liking the leaning tower of power gas milage right now. Alas, the Val has avoided the butchers knife for one more summer.

Rev

I`m using the original 273 block at .030 over and approximately 9.5:1 cr. The cam is a stock 2 barrel grind. The carburetor is a 500cfm Eddie, ignition is a MP electronic, fan clutch, dual exhaust, and soon a 2.94 rear gear. I hope to increase the mpg a little over a stock build. Headers help maybe?

Well, theres a few things on this list I would change for mileage concerns.

The MP ignition should be swapped out for a MSD or like multi strike/spark system. The Jacobs I have used before in the past was the best and very expensive.

Example; I had purchased a 94 Hyundia excel, 4 cyl. 5 spd car. 35 - 36 mpg's on a norm, added the jacobs and was rewarded with 40 mpg's.

Ditch the clutch fan for an electric fan.

H or X pipe on the exhaust?
What size pipe? Not more than 2-1/4 I hope.

Headers would help. A minor improvment. A cam swap would be good. Same intake duration and slightly more exhaust.

How's the quench?

OH, heres my 50 mpg machine. Keep it slow and it'll get more.

100_1604.JPG

100_1610.JPG

My 68' dart had mild 318 w/500cfm and 2.73 ratio and tall tires which got 20 on the freeway til gas got high. Now, destined to be 383 street pounder! The SE Stratus is great with the 3.0 but would shy from the Intrepid. The Avenger R/T is an excellent choice @ 28mpg on the freeway with 3.5HO and CV transmission. Stick with MoPar.

avenger 640x480.jpg

I got 22.3 mpg on the way back from Pittsburgh Sunday. /6 headers, 4bbl, 904, 8 3/4 w/ 3.23 sg, 235/75r14's, cruising 65-70 with the occasional blast to 85 pass semi's and rv's. gets 15mpg around town

Well, theres a few things on this list I would change for mileage concerns.

The MP ignition should be swapped out for a MSD or like multi strike/spark system. The Jacobs I have used before in the past was the best and very expensive.

Example; I had purchased a 94 Hyundia excel, 4 cyl. 5 spd car. 35 - 36 mpg's on a norm, added the jacobs and was rewarded with 40 mpg's.

Ditch the clutch fan for an electric fan.

H or X pipe on the exhaust?
What size pipe? Not more than 2-1/4 I hope.

Headers would help. A minor improvment. A cam swap would be good. Same intake duration and slightly more exhaust.

How's the quench?

All good ideas Rumblefish. The exhaust man recommends a 2" pipe with crossover pipe.The engine is a stock 273, 2 barrel, heads to pan without changes, save the intake and carb.

My 68' dart had mild 318 w/500cfm and 2.73 ratio and tall tires which got 20 on the freeway til gas got high. Now, destined to be 383 street pounder! The SE Stratus is great with the 3.0 but would shy from the Intrepid. The Avenger R/T is an excellent choice @ 28mpg on the freeway with 3.5HO and CV transmission. Stick with MoPar.

I like that r/t I didnt know they got that good of milage.

I wish I could find another 95 Intrepid with low miles. The one I have now is approaching 200K and still gets 21 city 30-32 Hwy. 3.3 liter pushrod engine.

I'm pissed about the gas mileage from my 318 '70 Duster. All stock, 904, 2.76's in the back, it goes about a week back and forth from work (about 10 miles each way) on a full tank of gas, which equates to almost 12 mpg. I think it's from a multitude of things; stock points ignition, single exhaust, untunable 2bbl Carter BBD carb, and stupid low-rise single-plane intake (what were those engineers thinking???). Not to mention I'm driving at about 7000 ft. above sea level, and the car is originally from California. I'd feel better if it at least had some power too, but the only time it ever wants to go anywhere is from a dead stop!

I'm getting a '74 /6 Duster parts car, maybe I'll build up a nice turbo slant-6 and drop that in as the gas prices go higher (if I can't get my 318 to get at least 20 avg. MPG with upgrades).

Longgone, I think the 2 inch would actually be better than my 2-1/4 suggestion.

MOPEkidD-3, it is possible, but the 7,000 ft. Alt. is a problem I believe. The other problem is the short drive you do. The car never warms up and gets into it's grove, so to speak.
I'd run through the upgrades I listed to longgone and look into this further. Carb tuning is a major issue for everything.

OH, I would not build a engine for mileage. Even more so with a 318 to start with in the engine bay now.

my 64 dart with its 318 gets about 18mpg avg. not bad considering i didn't even build it for mileage. xe262 cam, 9.5 comp., 600 eddy carb, 904 trans. just supposed to be fun driver but the mileage made it even more fun!

Longgone, I think the 2 inch would actually be better than my 2-1/4 suggestion.

MOPEkidD-3, it is possible, but the 7,000 ft. Alt. is a problem I believe. The other problem is the short drive you do. The car never warms up and gets into it's grove, so to speak.
I'd run through the upgrades I listed to longgone and look into this further. Carb tuning is a major issue for everything.

OH, I would not build a engine for mileage. Even more so with a 318 to start with in the engine bay now.

Nah, it warms up quite well on my drive to work. About a minute after getting on the highway my water temp is up to where it gets when fully warm. I just want to get that ThermoQuad on there ASAP, at least I'll be able to tune it. I'm ordering a full CD ignition setup soon too and possibly dual exhaust, should help a bit.

-
Back