drivers side exhaust manifold 66 dart

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to drop my 318 into my 66 Dart. Is it easier to do with the drivers side exhaust manifold on or off?

Off definately so if you using the stock manifold with the crocked end, Easy to break that one.

If it's the stock 273 style that kind of wraps around the steering column, I think you'll have to put the manifold in the car, lower in the motor, & then attach the manifold. I don't think it'll go in attached to the motor unless you pull the steering column. Somebody else here has probably done this a lot more recently than I have. Hopefully they'll give you a confirmation of what I've said. Either that, or somebody here will tear me a new one!

Well, what do you know. Somebody answered you before I could even finish typing! I blame it on arthritis in my wrists.

It's been afew years since I put the 318 in my 66 Dart, but if I remember right, I put the engine in without it in place, and just removed teh steering column to get the manifold in.

When I dropped the motor in my 66 it went in without the manifold. The service manual tells you that you can remove and install the drivers side manifold with the column in place - it didnt work on my car. I had to pull the column. Ugh.

So it sounds like the consensus is to drop the motor in without the manifold. It is the stock 273 manifold.

Like I said, I would put the manifold in position in the car but back out of the way somehow. Then lower the engine & bolt on the manifold. Don't think it'll go in easy once the engine is in the car.

-
Back