Driveshaft Angle?

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I may need to raise the tailshaft of the transmission just a tad. What would be the range of angle in degrees, for the driveshaft to input shaft for a 69 Dart 340, AT, 8.75?

Have you used an angle finder to see where the tailshaft is? Where the pinion in the rear is?

Watch this video

Without getting too technical, Doesn't really matter where your trans height is at on the tail shaft.....what matters is that the angle on the driveshaft coming out of the tail shaft of transmission cancels out the angle of the driveshaft at the pinion yoke UNDER LOAD or you will have vibrations......now UNDER LOAD depends on what type of rear suspension you are running on the rear....Leaf springs are generally what most people run on their mopars as that is what they came with from the factory......And leafs have the most pinion angle wrap up due to their design so usually have to account for that.....4 degree wrap up is not uncommon with leafs....that is where a pinion snubber comes into play

Last edited:
Have you used an angle finder to see where the tailshaft is? Where the pinion in the rear is?
I do have an Angle finder. I'm out of the shop until next weekend I'll check it then. I seemed to remember reading somewhere a long time ago in a far far away place that a +/- of 2 degrees was genially acceptable. Thats why I'm asking you guys.
Watch this video

Without getting too technical, Doesn't really matter where your trans height is at on the tail shaft.....what matters is that the angle on the driveshaft coming out of the tail shaft of transmission cancels out the angle of the driveshaft at the pinion yoke UNDER LOAD or you will have vibrations......now UNDER LOAD depends on what type of rear suspension you are running on the rear....Leaf springs are generally what most people run on their mopars as that is what they came with from the factory......And leafs have the most pinion angle wrap up due to their design so usually have to account for that.....4 degree wrap up is not uncommon with leafs....that is where a pinion snubber comes into play

Thanks Bbrroowwnn,
This vid helps a LOT!

I do have an Angle finder. I'm out of the shop until next weekend I'll check it then. I seemed to remember reading somewhere a long time ago in a far far away place that a +/- of 2 degrees was genially acceptable. Thats why I'm asking you guys.

Yes, check the trans, it's probably around 2 or so up, then check the pinion, it should be the same angle only down.

Think of a straight line through the crank/output shaft, and a straight line through the pinion, and they never intersect. They run parallel to each other.

Are you having some vibration? On acceleration? On deceleration?

Depends on what you have....2 degrees up on the tail shaft of trans you would want to be 2 degrees downward on pinion yoke under load..... so they are parallel.....I would probably go down to about 4 degrees if you have leaf springs because under load it will be close depending on what height your pinion snubber is set at if you have an adjustable pinion snubber

Yes, check the trans, it's probably around 2 or so up, then check the pinion, it should be the same angle only down.

Think of a straight line through the crank/output shaft, and a straight line through the pinion, and they never intersect. They run parallel to each other.

Are you having some vibration? On acceleration? On deceleration?
Fresh build and have not run it yet.

-
Back