Driveshaft compatibility questions

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
Hi,I have a 68 Dart with 7 1/4" rear and torquflite. I'm going to convert it to an 8 3/4" abody rear from a 71/72 car. My question is would there be a difference in drivershaft length between a duster/demon abody and a dart hardtop or 4dr sedan? I know that 8 3/4" rears used a smaller driveshaft but would the length be the same for Dusters and Darts? Thanks

length is different due to the wheelbase difference. 727/833 share the same yoke which is different than the 904 and i think the 230 3spd is different as well. u joint may or may not be the same size.

here's a like with a length chart

Thanks for the help guys. My next question is did any 71-72 Dusters,Darts or demons with a slant six get an 8 3/4" rear from the factory?

Yes - years ago I parted out a 71 or 72 Dart with heavy duty everything except the motor/transmission. It had a slant/904. The story i got was the original owner was going to pull a trailer so the 8.75, HD cooling, etc but when not pulling a trailer, wanted some decent mileage. Each to their own!!

Yes - years ago I parted out a 71 or 72 Dart with heavy duty everything except the motor/transmission. It had a slant/904. The story i got was the original owner was going to pull a trailer so the 8.75, HD cooling, etc but when not pulling a trailer, wanted some decent mileage. Each to their own!!
Thanks for sharing. I thought I remembered reading a thread here where someone else had claimed they had a 4dr 69 dart with slant and 8 3/4" for the same reason. They were going to tow a small fishing boat once in a while.

Last edited:
-
Back