Driveshaft issues

-

BarracudaBrian

Reaction score
Hey everybody how's it going? Alright straight to the point I swapped my stock engine & trans for a 225/6 Torqueflite 727 out of an '82 d100. Ok so I got it all put in and I went to install the driveshaft to find the stock is to short I grab the d100 shaft it fits in the trans but is about3' too long :( ok so the u joints are the same so I can use either. Alright so here's the deal I don't care which I use so long as I can get this car moving under it's own power. I will post pix of the shafts as soon as I can. Thanks for any advice on cutting the shafts or???

Measure the 2 yoke centers on the trans and rear end and bring the DS to a driveshaft shop. Tell them what you're doing and have them cut and balance the shaft for you.

Eventually I'm gonna get a new shaft for it. I just need it to appear fully functional so I can bring it home and invest my storage fees into making the car the way I want it... One of the driveshafts appears to be a two piece? I just need a temporary fix to burn the storage leech off of my wallet...

I'm having a few other trials and tribulations I will post in the appropriate sections...

Btw storage fees are nearing what I paid for the car...

I found a shop that will cut & balance for $70 but I have a friend of a friend who will make me a brand spanky new shaft for $200... I don't want the new until I figure out if the 7 1/4? 7 3/4? Idk is gonna be strong enough for whatever engine I finish with... Idk just seems like more project less hobby almost as bad as work... Just missing shop foreman & service manager breathing down my neck...

Sounds like the truck shaft has a splined slip shaft for a fixed yoke. Does the truck tranny have a fixed or slip yoke on the trans?

For lack of better understanding I believe yes? The truck shaft is what I'm used to seeing 2 ujoints at either end and a solid tube in between the barracuda shaft is a little different from the yoke ( trans side) to just before the end ( axle end)is typical tube then it has another piece inside... It appears to be adjustable maybe? I'll post pix tomorrow @ lunch.

I would go for the cut and balance for $70,this will get you rolling until you figure what your gonna do.

I'll make a long story short:

A slip type driveshaft can only be used with a fixed yoke trans.

A non-slip driveshaft must be used with a slip yoke trans.

A slip type DS can be shortened.

Any 7 x" rear-end will not be strong enough to live behind a V-8.

here is the pix. i'm not putting a v8 in it. i want to build a performance /6 but i only have the bottom end done just dont have time to finish... ok so can either of theses shafts be cut to fit?

pix

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

-
Back