Driveshaft length charts are nuts

-
Id physically measure before I told a driveshaft shop to make me a 49.75 driveshaft. And if you can slide under an A-body car with no lifts, you need to eat some more! (well, women get a pass on this). I cant get a standard floor jack under my front K member!

I have to take a slip yoke off a driveshaft that I know is not the correct one. (The driveshaft is about a foot and a half too long but it has a 904 slip yoke). I don't have a slip yoke loose on a shelf or anything.

On me way to do that now.

You might have figured this out already, but you don't have to remove a yoke from a driveshaft.
Just stick a shaft of any size in there that fits the trans and leave it hanging.
Then bottom it out and pull it back 1.25 - 1.5 inches and do your measuring from the center of the ujoint cap holes to the flat for the cap straps on the rear yoke. (center of caps)

You might watch just in case for a hole in the cap on the end of the yoke since you do a lot of swapping around of parts from different cars and trucks.
A vent hole in the yoke cap means it went on a trans with an O ring around the output shaft.
No vent hole means the yoke should have one spline missing.
The vent hole in the yoke, or the spline missing are two different ways of venting the yoke when it moves in and out while driving.
If a yoke can't vent one of these two ways the yoke moving into the trans puts pressure on internal parts of the trans and can trash it.

Some people have had that O ring around the end of the output shaft be bad and saw fluid coming out of the little vent hole in the yoke and closed up the hole by either welding or some sort of sealant.
This stops the leak, but stops the ability to vent when the yoke moves in and out on the output shaft.

The older 727s had the vent hole in the yoke and the O ring on the output shaft sealed on the inside of the yoke tip.
(This is why the yokes have a long unsplined area before the splines start)
Newer ones had one spline missing out of the yoke, and those vent back into the trans.

Just some FYI that most don't know. :D

So I came up with 51" and I found one that seems to fit.

It came out of a 72 valiant with a 904 /7.25
Yet it seems to fit a 74 duster, 904/ 8.25 perfect

The only concern is it the skinny one so I have to do some research to determine if the diameter is enough to handle the 360.

If it will, then I saved money and clean it up and i will replace the u joints and use it.

20200111_145249.jpg

I am getting ready to have my driveshaft shortened, I understand how to measure the driveshaft, my question is when you bottom out the yoke is it with the rubber boot installed?

-
Back