Driveshaft length

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
So with all these tranny swaps, what about the driveshafts?
What requires longer or shorter shafts? Will any stock shafts work?
Specifically wondering about the 727, t56, tko 500/600,
Tr6060

That is the last thing you should do. The car should be complete, all interior and at you specified ride height. I say this because there are different rears, tire size, ride height, weight, trans length etc. So I couldn't say what length you would need and also the factory shaft may be abled to be used, again depending on what trans, yoke size of trans, rear yoke size etc. Not trying to pop the bubble, but you really only want to do this 1 time and it be right.

Well right now I need to get it running, i have reasons other then just wanting it running....IE living arrangments.
Right now its stock rear end, I need to get the hemi put in and running, then prob bolt the 727 for now to it.
thats why i need to know if the driveshaft will fit.

If the trans and rearend are the same as what the car came with then it will work just fine.

If the car originally came with a 727 the factory driveshaft will work . If it was originally a six or a small block with a 904 then you will have to shorten the driveshaft and change the front yoke because the 727 is longer and uses a larger spline for the yoke.

the 73 did come with a s6, I do however had a drive shaft from both 72 and 71 v8 cars. Guess if nothing fits, i can do something.

An important note for anyone using the 545RFE. A 727 yoke will fit, but there is something different about the splines so be sure to use a late model yoke that matches the transmission. There is enough play that it can cause damage. I was going to have Denny's Driveshafts make my custom driveshaft, but he pointed out the difference and said he could not meet my needs because of their precision equipment that balances the shaft using the inside of the yoke instead of clamping on the outside like most shops use. He said they just do not have enough enough demand yet to buy the fixture that fits a 545 yoke. I even sent him the yoke I had to be 100% sure. He recommended just going to a local place that makes truck driveshafts which is what I ended up doing. I bought my shaft from Power Drive in Wichita. When I was testing it in my garage one of the balance weights came off because of poor weld quality. Luckily I found it and could weld it back on instead of making a 45 minute trip back to their shop.

-
Back