Driveshaft Mistery???

-

Treblig

Reaction score
I bought a 67 Barracuda with many extra parts. The Barracuda supposedly had a 318 engine originally with an automatic tranny. The car came with a driveshaft (laying on the floorboards). The car came with no engine or tranny when I bought it (8 1/4 rear). This drive shaft has a larger trans yoke (it won't fit into my 904). It has a 3 1/4 diameter and is about 45 1/2 inches long (center to center). According to charts that other members have posted (yes, I did some research) it could be a 70-71 Challenger (45.6 length), or a '71 Challenger (45.79 length) or a '70 Challenger (45.85 length). The chart I found at FABO lists three different part numbers for the different lengths. My question is, "where is this P/N found on the driveshaft so I can determine what it fits???" I want to sell the driveshaft but don't know how to advertise it. From the chart it seems as if it would fit '70 thru '71 Challenger with 340, 383 or 440. The lengths are so close it really shouldn't make a difference...RIGHT?????

thanks in advance,
Treblig

I wouldn't worry. Just determine the yoke, or keep the yoke, or sell the yoke separate

Determine the joints, measure it C-C length and OD and sell it based on that and what you just posted above, IE "what you think you know."

Here's the thing..........why does it matter? If someone can use it, they will. If they need to shorten it , they will.

If the car has a 8.25 rear it was added. The drive shaft likely came from the same donor as that rear. There were far too many factory options /combinations and after the fact alterations for any of those charts to be complete and/or accurate.

Thanks, what you people are saying makes sense. I don't think the rear is original and I guess if measure it real close and tell it that way someone will know if they need it or not. I just don't want to mislead anyone. But if I give the diameter, length and yoke size that should be enough. It does have that step-down in diameter like my 904 driveshaft so I guess it's Mopar??

treblig

-
Back