Driveshaft question...DO i need one made?

-

keith9291

Reaction score
I have changed my drive train from a 318/904 8 3/4 rear and 7260 yolk I have dropped in a 360/727 8 3/4 rear and 7290 yolk. Will the new driveshaft be shorter than the original one? And if so would you just have it shorten or would you have a new one made? Also anyone know what the measurement is suppose to be for the new combination?

There's only one way to know for sure and thats to measure it since you can't always trust that the dimensions were correct to begin with. That being said I'm pretty sure that the 727 is longer that the 904 unless it's a short tail 727 in which case I have no idea.

Terry

to shorten one is fairly cheap to have one made new get out the credit card unless you no a good machine shop an a in buddy on the inside lol

My Dart went through the exact scenario.............

The builder had the shaft shortened, but there was a good sized dent in the tube and they didn't balance it..........Caused quite a few problems........it was shortened 1.5" too far too, and ruined the tailshaft bearings and u-joints from vibration...........

I had the length zeroed in at a driveline shop, and they installed a brand new tube and balanced it for me............. $120.00 total.............

I counted that as a good deal. Correct length, and the vibrations are history.

A friend of mine has that exact set up in his 69 Barracuda. He had to shorten the shaft to 44.88 inches center to center with a 109 wheelbase. If you have a Dart with 111 wheelbase it`s liable to be different though. If you have the trans yoke (with the car on the ground) push it in the tailshaft until it stops then pull it out about an inch and a half, measure the distance from the center of the u-joint on the yoke to the center of the u-joint on the rear end. That should be very close to the proper length of your driveshaft.

-
Back