Driveshaft question?

-

55Redneck

Reaction score
A couple of weeks back I picked up a 318/904 combo out of a 76 Valiant 4 door sedan. My question is, will the driveshaft fit or will I have to cut it down?

This will be going into a 65 Barracuda that was originaly 273 Commando/904 car. I spent a couple of hours today cleaning up the driveshaft but I don't want to paint it if I have to cut it anyways. ;)

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Regards
Red

I thought so. I guess it's better being too long rather than too short. ;) :toothy10:

There`s a different wheelbase between Darts and Barracudas. It`ll probably have to be cut down.

I believe Longgone is correct, but only for certain years. If I remember correctly 67-69 darts are 111" wheelbase. I believe I remember that your early a-body and all other later a-bodies are 109" wheel base. That would mean as long as you were going from the same transmission to the same rearend, you could use your driveshaft.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe Longgone is correct, but only for certain years. If I remember correctly 67-69 darts are 111" wheelbase. I believe I remember that your early a-body and all other later a-bodies are 109" wheel base. That would mean as long as you were going from the same transmission to the same rearend, you could use your driveshaft.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

From 1963 to 1971 all Valiants and all Dart wagons rode on the 108 inch wheelbase. All Darts, except the wagon, rode on the 111 inch wheelbase.

From 1970 on, the A-body 2-door hardtops had the 111 inch wheelbase as did Dart 4-doors. The Duster/Demon/Dart Sport was on the 108 inch wheel base. Valiant 4 doors were on the 108 inch wheelbase until 1971 when they got the 111 inch wheelbase and sloped rear end that the Dart got the previous year.

The driveshaft isn't coming out of the longer Dart, but the shorter Valiant. If it was an early a-body (doner car) it would be fine. try it an see. If you have to shorten it, a shop can do it in a few hours. No biggie, but measure twice (or more), cut once.

Thanks for the advise guys. I'll just wait til I get the motor and trans in the car and check it out then. The trans that came out of the car was a ball and trunion style and the driveshaft is a couple inches shorter but the trans is buried under a bunch of junk so I can't compare it to the new trans without doing a major shop cleaning. If it does need shortening I know a guy with a welding/fab shop that should fix me up pretty cheap. ;)

From 1963 to 1971 all Valiants and all Dart wagons rode on the 108 inch wheelbase. All Darts, except the wagon, rode on the 111 inch wheelbase.

From 1970 on, the A-body 2-door hardtops had the 111 inch wheelbase as did Dart 4-doors. The Duster/Demon/Dart Sport was on the 108 inch wheel base. Valiant 4 doors were on the 108 inch wheelbase until 1971 when they got the 111 inch wheelbase and sloped rear end that the Dart got the previous year.

Actually the 4 doors got the longer wheebase and dart rear in '74. They were the same from '67-through '73.

-
Back