driveshaft?

-

1970PAValiant

master of the break down
Reaction score
My car vibrates violently at around 65-70mph and it always is in the butt of my pants. I just took out the U joints since they were shot and noticed one side I didn't have to press out when I took out the pin for the cap, it just slipped out. Could that be my problem?

you have the new u-joints? how do they fit in the shaft? too loose yes it can be a problem.

yup they're all good and tight. I also noticed my trans mounts cracked, so it might be that. that and my leaf springs are shot too so I'm waiting on an order for them

see your local driveline shop for that...

Could be around $140, that would be the new weld yoke in 1310 or 1330 and a 1330 x 7290 or 1310 x 7260 joint and balanced

alright got myself a new one local shop is making me a new drivetrain for $210. Do I also have to grease the new U joints or do they always come with it greased?

Depends, some shops do some don't, i will grease the captured joints (slip yoke end/flanges) and also tell the customer that this joint isn't greased.

They should tell you, but i have seen some shops not say anything...

I'd hit them with a grease gun. After you have them installed. Most will be prepacked with grease, but just like anything else with a fitting, I would hit it at least once.

heh - I said I would hit it. Don't let my wife see this. :)

LOL will do. Although there's a guy 15 miles from me parting a '74 dart so I might call him tommorow and see if he has a driveshaft there and how much also

Be sure to know what the rear end and trans was in the car it came out of. I swapped the 7.25 rear out of my 72, replaced with a 8.25 and had to get the shaft shortened.

If yours has a 904/7.25 and so is the donor, you should be good. Replace the ujoints anyways. I pulled mine, and found they were factory units.

I've seen driveshafts with small weights welded to them from the factory. Don't remember if they were Mopar or not.

Those are weights, however he had said he had to get the joints for the shop doing the work.

How did they balance the shaft if they didn't have the joints?

The entire shaft would have to be assembled and then balanced.

good question. As far as grease goes, my shop had the 1350 for the rear, but only yoke they had was 7290,so I had them install solid in the front, not cross drilled for grease. so I'll replace it in 50,000 miles.

If you are using a spicer non greasable (spl series) joint you should get more then 50k out of it.
I regularly get 70k to 100k on the spicer non greasables.
My jeep is up to 120k on it's joints

-
Back