driveshalf length

-

lil elephant

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I might find the proper length of the driveshalf used in my combo.The yoke to my transmission sticks out of the trans about 3.5" to 4", does this seem correct to you? My combo is a 75 Dart Sport, 904, 7.25 rear. Thanks for your consideration in advance! :help:

well i can tell you that 3.5 to 4 inch is to much.i'm going thru the same problem and after checking a few internet sights what seems to be a safe measurement is 1 to 2 inches of yoke sticking out of the rubber seal of the trans.so with your shaft pushed in that far measure from the center of the front u-joint to the center of the rear end yoke of the u-joint and you will have a close measurement of the shaft you need.remember to have the car on all 4 wheels with all the weight on it when you measure.
hope this helps
terry

Hey thanks Terry, it's more of what I thought. I just received my gear and bearings to build an 8.25 for the car, which will require a different length driveshalf. Until I " get -er- dunn " I'll have to keep my foot off the load pedal unless I want to pick up the pieces. By the way, I use to live down the road in Thousand Oaks in the 70's :wav:

I cut about an 1 1/2 off of my drive shaft when I went from a 7 1/4 to an 8 1/4. Hurry up and get that rear in there...sounds like it will be just right for the drive shaft you have now.

Thanks guys, but the old saying goes" if it can go wrong it will" and thats just my luck. But, I'am looking forward to the chalange.

-
Back