Driving American

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
I used to drive my 1970 Dart Swinger daily. It leaked water in the cab during rain, brakes were rly grabby (i would later find my rears dont operate) and by the time i retired it to the garage, it began leakin oil, coolant and trans fluid. Now the battery went kaputt and has since been removed, so i cant even fire it up once in a while.

I retired it in September of 2011. Drove my uncles 88 Dakota until late february when i got a loan and bought another car. I needed something that got good MPG (the dart got me 14, the Dak got a whopping 15) but i refused to get a typical honda civic. I wanted somethin quirky, a little sporty and fun. I had just learned how to drive stick at work so i =deciuded whatever i bought would have to be a 3 pedal.

My current DD is a 1995 Mazda Miata. 5spd. Im the 3rd owner and its in very good shape. Tan leather interior, Montego blue exterior. Matching factory hardtop with defroster, tan soft top. 152k on the clock. i average 25.7 mpg with the soft top and around 26-27 with the hardtop. Its a fun cutesy lil roadster.

Ive had this car now almost 8 months. Still a joy to drive but i feel somethings missing. everyday i walk through the garage and see my old Dodge and i remember how it was like to cruise round in it. Its a great feelin, even if it was kinda a pos haha.I miss driving an old mopar so bad the other day i toyed with the idea of trading my miata to a guy 3 hours away who has a 70 Valiant sedan! Id love it but it would be the stupidest thing possible.

It is a foolish idea for me to change my cars at all anyway. I ship for USMC bootcamp January 28th and i dnt need extra expenses between now and then. Still, would be nice to take my Dart out every now and then. Whats a kid to do?!

anyone else out there forced into a "regular car" due to $$ or issues with thier mopar? i wanted the dart to be my DD forever!:happy1:

dump the mazda and use the scratch to get the dart back in driver shape

Thank you for enlisting... I appreciate the courage it takes to give yourself to the Corps.

I'd just hang on to the miata till after basic and AIT (think that's what they can in the MC). The vast majority of the places marines go have really nice weather (bases). I wish you the very best of luck to you in the MC and thanks for joining. That said I've got just one question, why the MC over the other branches?

Save up your money and when you get back make a decision. Too many people get caught up in the "want it now" mentality (me included). Patience always wins out. In the end you'll have more money and more opportunities to do what you want with the Swinger or another car if you want something different.

Drive the Mazda, make plans for the A-Body while you're gone
and start on her when you get back.

Thank you for your upcoming Service and please stay safe.

I'd just hang on to the miata till after basic and AIT (think that's what they can in the MC). The vast majority of the places marines go have really nice weather (bases). I wish you the very best of luck to you in the MC and thanks for joining. That said I've got just one question, why the MC over the other branches?

the dress blues are panty droppers

Thank you for deciding to serve your country, personally I am indebted to anyone who takes that duty upon himself.

If possible you could store your Mopar, if you do it the right way, it will be fine when you get back to it.

I've had 3 years to plan the Swingers build. It's pretty much set haha. I know I'm gonna be hangin onto the Mazda for the time bein because its reliable it just kills me not bein able to take the dart out from time to time.

As for why the USMC: My grandfather in my fathers side was a Lieutenant Colonel. He was in WWII, Korea and 3 tours in Vietnam. He passed away in 72 or 73 tho and I never got to meet him. But it's always been an inspiration. I always knew if I decided in the military it's have to be USMC. I respect anyone in any branch but the USMC just feels right.

I'm goin in to be (hopefully) a Motor Transport Mechanic. That way I can learn more about how automotive things work and then plan to use my Gi bill to go to UTI before Startin a career as a mechanic, hopefully workin with older cars like mine!

-
Back