drone no more

-

mopar505

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
so i needed to get some exhaust work done to my 440 duster. when i bought, it had 3" off the collector to mid point into dynomax. dumped right before the rear axel. had lots of low rpm drone and vibration. that i could handle, but the exhaust gasses comming in the cabin at all speeds was to much. race gas i can handle, pump puke sucks/ stinks like hell. i got the hooker aero chambers on my 65 satellite 440 and like them so i had exhaust shop install new hooker areo chambers and extend up over the axel to rear. was expecting it to be somewhat more quiet, no drone and no gasses. picked it up last saturday and love it. no gasses, no drone, and its LOUDER than before. much more of a tin /mechanical sound. if you never heard the aero chambers i can tell you they make a stone stock car sound like it is solid roller cammed. they are awsome mufflers. 3" in and out.

I thought you lost a R/C drone over the wall or something...I had axle dumps at one time and then extended them out to bumper, will never go back.

I had a '63 Pontiac Grand Prix 389 (later put in a 421) that dumped in front of the rear axle. Got a ticket for excessive noise. Extended the pipes out to the rear bumper and that alone quieted things down. My '65 Valiant four door bracket racer dumped in front of the rear axle (with fenderwell headers and the old/original turbo mufflers) and I don't remember being bothered by exhaust fumes in that vehicle for some reason.

I was looking into a set a Hooker Aero Chambers, but if you're saying it got louder then I guess I'll keep looking. I need to quiet my 360 down a bit. I need ear plugs just to drive on the freeway. Running Jeg's chambered mufflers now.

I was looking into a set a Hooker Aero Chambers, but if you're saying it got louder then I guess I'll keep looking. I need to quiet my 360 down a bit. I need ear plugs just to drive on the freeway. Running Jeg's chambered mufflers now.
Could check out Flow master's/Cherry Bomb's one chamber's, and /or run the tailpipes ,over the axle.Most early 'Vettes, ran the muffler's ,after the axle.Just some ideas,to toss around.

-
Back