Dropping the oil pan.

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I need to seal up an annoying oil pan leak on the 225 slant in my 65 Barracuda. Can anyone tell me if I will have any clearance issues or will I have to take some stuff apart and jack up the engine to take this pan off?
Or maybe if I am lucky it will be simple and easy.

I am a smallblock guy and have never worked on a slant before. Anything special I need to know? Thanks! 8)

Jim

There's a "how to" over on dot org. Check the Articles.

It would be a pain in the butt in the car, if you can do it at all, and probably won't seal.

The only good way to do it is upside down on a motor stand. Use Doc's method, and you'll be fine.

Sorry dude! If you want a good seal, yank the engine.

Are you sure it's the pan? Check the alternator bracket bolts. One that goes into the block goes into oil. It should have sealant on the threads.

CJ

Thanks CJ. I am R66GT over there. I will check it out.8)

That sure sucks about pulling the engine to do it. I pull smallblocks all the time by myself and have a method that works well for me. Seems like a slant would be alot easier. I just havn't done it yet. I was hoping to seal it up and take it to T&T tomorrow night and see what she will run.

I will check on that alternator bracket bolt too. I had no idea it went into oil. Thanks.

Remove center link and jack motor up off of mounts and even then you might have to turn the crank for rods to clear pan as you remove/install it.

Not too bad though.

good luck

-
Back