Drum brake auto adjuster - what am I missing here?

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
Just putting my 11 x 2.5 inch drums together, thought I had everything I need, but have hit a snag with the auto adjusting set-up. I cant work out how the adjuster "cam" can be made to sit tight on the adjuster star wheel - see pic below in the area where the screwdriver is positioned - I must be missing a hold down spring, or perhaps I have mounted things incorrectly.

Can anyone clarify what's gone wrong here?

Cheers!

CIMG1888.JPG

It appears that the green spring is not mounted correctly...maybe. I think it usually mounts in the same hole on the primary and secondary shoe. A full pic may help more....

On what I've seen the green spring hooks from the left or forward shoe and hooks on the adjuster plate.
Otherwise nothing is gonna hold the adjuster in place against the cam teeth

On mine and longgone; the adjuster is to the left(rear shoe) pass side pics. The adjuster goes on the rear shoe, both sides. Pushes down .

Look at the pic in the first link posted by Player1up. You're missing the spring that goes on the pin under the lever and then hooks over the lever to hold it down.
Same set up on the rear brakes on my 79 Volare rear end.

Thanks,
Ken

I looked at my shop manual for my 68 Barracuda and the pictures longgone posted are correct for 10 and 11inch brakes. I am assuming the brake are for your 68 Barracuda. By the way nice looking fish hope mine look as good someday.

I tried to scan the pages but they turn out bad.

It appears you may have the wrong adjusters.
In the picture and the manual the adjuster is on the top of the adjuster wheel. It also appears to be a different shape.

I hope we helped you.

-
Back