Drum Brake Hardware Kits

-

dodgedart1968

Reaction score
None of the '68 Dart drum brake hardware kits offered on RockAuto include brake shoe hold down pins. They do include the little black springs with hooks on the end. Are these correct replacements for the springs? How are the T-shaped pieces used?

brake kit.jpg

As long as they are the correct length and hold the shoe to the backing plate, they will work.

I am not sure when but I believe the later 9 inch brakes used more conventional hold downs pin and spring style

The ones you are referring to are for early 9 inch brakes. The T pieces go thru the backing plates from the back.
Yup, that kit is for 9" brakes. The "T" shaped clip is installed like the later pins...from the back side of the backing plate. You then need to push the center of those "beehive" springs through the brake shoe and hook them on those clips. I find a flat blade screwdriver of just the right size works best for that job. There's probably a specialty tool for that job that has a little notch for the hook on the spring, but, if you're careful a regular screwdriver will work. Just wear some googles in case one flies loose on you!

Yup, that kit is for 9" brakes. The "T" shaped clip is installed like the later pins...from the back side of the backing plate. You then need to push the center of those "beehive" springs through the brake shoe and hook them on those clips. I find a flat blade screwdriver of just the right size works best for that job. There's probably a specialty tool for that job that has a little notch for the hook on the spring, but, if you're careful a regular screwdriver will work. Just wear some googles in case one flies loose on you!

I'm glad you posted. I had assumed that the springs went through the backing plate, and the T's through the brake shoe.

Nope, other way around. In fact, I'm not sure you can even get the springs started through the backing plate......

Chrysler part number for the spring is 2207520. Part number for anchor is 2072675. They were used on 1960 thru 1968 Valiant and Dart cars with 9 inch drum brakes. Special tool for the springs is k-d 297. All of these can be seen on eBay.

Chrysler part number for the spring is 2207520. Part number for anchor is 2072675. They were used on 1960 thru 1968 Valiant and Dart cars with 9 inch drum brakes. Special tool for the springs is k-d 297. All of these can be seen on eBay.
Looks easy enough to make the tool by cutting a slot into a flat bladed screwdriver.

-
Back