Drums from a 7" 1/4 fit on 8" 1/4?

-
Ok so you have a bare housing that is a 7 1/4 from a f body and no internals? so we are all on the same page.
Correct. ( 8" 1/4 that is )

I'm open for options on what I could buy for it. Still doing some research, so anything you guys suggest would be the best solutions I will take into consideration. I'm in no rush to get this done, just for future purposes!

Thanks for all your replies!

rear_axle_ID.jpg

Correct 71/4 or 8 1/4 big difference, what do you have a pick is prob what we need here to help you out.

View attachment 1715005957
Correct 71/4 or 8 1/4 big difference, what do you have a pick is prob what we need here to help you out.
I am currently running a 7 1/4 on my valiant, the 8 1/4 i have just bought.
For now i have only really found the differential i want in it, other parts I'm still searcing for.

Sorry for causing confusion!

OK whats on the new diff, wise choice also going with the 8 1/4. Is it a A body rear?

The 8 1/4 I've bought is from a '78 Volare, so f body. The differential is a suregrip 27 spline.

Nice what gears and what do you need to make the brakes work?

I was thinking 3.55:1 gearing. Any specific brand i should go for, rings and pinions? or ones that I should avoid.

I dont know exactly what i would need, I didnt realise there were two different types of 7 1/4 rears. So I have to get back on that, but lets say i should get som new ones for the 8 1/4.

Tony prob has the gears. WHAT DID YOU GET WITH THE 8 1/4 REAR?

Aye yai yai! First, again, if your car is a '66 A body that's gonna be a tough fit putting an FMJ rear in it. Besides cutting the driveshaft, cutting & moving the spring perches,
setting the pinion angle, setting up the gears, & do You know which gear series carrier the SureGrip is, You're going to have to pick an oddball wheel offset to put the tires
where You want them. They made two carrier series for the 8 1/4, if the SG came from a rear that had the cruiser 2.45:1 gearset, You cannot use it for higher ratios like
3.55's, just FYI. Whenever You buy brakes/hardware, get everything for the same vehicle, there was a change in shoe & wheel cyl. style that has to go together.

-
Back