Drums to Disks on 68 cuda

-

Tribute SS/A 68

Reaction score
I'm going to disks on my 68, seeing calipers both in front and behind on the disk, a original ? pic appeared the caliper was in the back or towards the rear, so anybody have any info, or bought aftermarket conversion.?
thanks

The 73 and up mopar setup can be mounted on either side (front or back) of the axle by swaping the spindles from side to side. They were designed to be used in the front but it sometimes interferes with the factory sway bar. If mounting it in the back, you might have to make some adjustments to the brake hose.

684mulas is correct, the 73-76 disc calipers will interfere with the factory sway bar and sway bar bracket welded to the control arm on the pre 72 A & B-Bodys if you mount them the way they are on the 73-76. The sway bar on the 73-76 are shorter and are mounted to the middle of the control arm.

If you mount them to the front you will have to get a different brake hose because the 68 has the brake line mounted behind the control arms and the 73-76 hose will be too short. I mounted mine in the front on my 65 and I found that the 83-95 Chevy/GMC van brake hoses worked perfectly (use the right on the left and the left on the right) and they have a bracket that you can bolt to the top of the control arm to hold it in place. You will need to move the metal brake line to the bottom of the frame bracket though which wasn't a big deal for me since I was installing new brake lines at that time anyway. The hole in the banjo fitting on the hose will need to be drilled to fit the Mopar banjo bolt which is easy if you have a drill press with a clamp. This may seem like a lot of work to some people but it was easy and the hoses fit great. You will need to watch the clearance with the hose if you are running fenderwell headers which is what I have and why I mounted mine to the front.

If you mount them to the rear the 73-76 hoses should work, at least they did on my 68 B-Body but you should use another hose over the brake hose to protect it because it comes close to the frame when you turn the wheels.

This is a 73+ disk set up out of a Swinger in my 68 Barracuda;

DiskBrake.jpg

Mounting to the front allows the use of the 73+ brake hose. If you swap sides with the spindles and calipers (need to swap calipers too to keep the bleeder on top) for the calipers to the rear you will need to use Aspen/Volare brakes hoses, the Aspen/Volare had the calipers to the rear.

BTW, I also used a 73+ v8 k-member so I didn't have any sway bar issues.

This is a 73+ disk set up out of a Swinger in my 68 Barracuda;

DiskBrake.jpg

Mounting to the front allows the use of the 73+ brake hose. If you swap sides with the spindles and calipers (need to swap calipers too to keep the bleeder on top) for the calipers to the rear you will need to use Aspen/Volare brakes hoses, the Aspen/Volare had the calipers to the rear.

BTW, I also used a 73+ v8 k-member so I didn't have any sway bar issues.

Please show a photo of the inside of the assembly. I tried to use the hoses from a 73 Dart on my 65 but they were too short so I went with the GM hoses and mounted them over the top of the control arm with bracket bolted to the control arm like they are on the GM van. They fit perfectly and look like they belong but it did bug me that I had to use GM hoses. It's bad enough I had to use SB Chevy thermostat housing to clear my blower.

Thanks to all for your help, I'm going with the front mount, as I do not have a sway bar (straight line) racing only ! So I appreciate all your advice,
Thanks again.

Please show a photo of the inside of the assembly. I tried to use the hoses from a 73 Dart on my 65 but they were too short so I went with the GM hoses and mounted them over the top of the control arm with bracket bolted to the control arm like they are on the GM van. They fit perfectly and look like they belong but it did bug me that I had to use GM hoses. It's bad enough I had to use SB Chevy thermostat housing to clear my blower.

I don't have a picture of the inside but you can see where the hose connects to the sub-frame. The 68 frame tab was in the same location in relation to the control arm as the 73 doner car. The hose is routed the same as it was on the 73 doner and there is no pulling or kinking of the hose with the wheel at both locks. Don't know about a 65 but a 68 the 73 hose fits perfect.

I don't have a picture of the inside but you can see where the hose connects to the sub-frame. The 68 frame tab was in the same location in relation to the control arm as the 73 doner car. The hose is routed the same as it was on the 73 doner and there is no pulling or kinking of the hose with the wheel at both locks. Don't know about a 65 but a 68 the 73 hose fits perfect.

That's cool, I am currently doing this on my 68 Dart so it will be helpful to know. I think O Reilly's may have given me the wrong hoses or something, my hose brackets on the 65 are in the same place as my 68 so that is the only explanation I can think of.

This link - http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html should help you out with any imponderables.

By the way - I have a topic posted near the top of this list about brake lines. I just got replacement lines but they are made in China. I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but what are you all using and where were they made?

Thanks to all for your help, I'm going with the front mount, as I do not have a sway bar (straight line) racing only ! So I appreciate all your advice,
Thanks again.

The original S/S Hemi car had the calipers in the rear. Front mounted calipers on a early car are a dead giveaway of a swap. I mount them in the rear make it look a little more original looking. It's no extra time, money, or worry to mount them in the rear.

OK, Autox, That's what I was thinkin, now I have the front mounted kit, so now I just swap spindles and calp side to side and another set of hoses ?

-
Back