Dual conical valve springs

-

AndyF

Reaction score
Finished up the dyno testing using the dual conical valve springs on my low deck 470. This engine has the Trick Flow 270 heads and a big solid roller cam. Everything worked great and we made around 750 hp at 7000 rpm. The springs worked just fine with the super aggressive solid roller cam. Here is a link: Dyno Tested: Dual Conical Valve Springs - Hot Rod Network

Could be. Seems like a neat technology but I imagine that the manufacturing process is a little tough. The OEM's seem to have adopted the beehive design for lots of engine. I don't know of any OEM using the conical spring yet but that could change.

Could be. Seems like a neat technology but I imagine that the manufacturing process is a little tough. The OEM's seem to have adopted the beehive design for lots of engine. I don't know of any OEM using the conical spring yet but that could change.
Well Comp has been making conicals for ~30yrs., I put a set of the "upside-down" SBC ones in a set of 462 heads I did in the very early '90's, they're still in there!!!
I'd hope it isn't that difficult for them to get done at this point. I like the concept, it's a combo of the benefits of dual's & progressive coil diameters rolled into one, only
reliability over long-term would need to be proven out to make them premium for their applications. Those old 982's have been on that 350 w/a 280 Magnum stick & 1.6
rockers through a piss-load of street miles, burnout bonanzas, street races, & trips to the track w/o so much as 1 hiccup. I think these will be good to go!!:)
One question for You, any thoughts/insights on the drop & recovery in the torque curve from 52-5700?

I don't know where that dip in the torque comes from. All of the engines I test on this dyno have that little dip regardless of intake, carb, cam, headers, etc. that we use. It could be something in the dyno exhaust system. Maybe some sort of standing wave that hits right at that RPM. It is worse with some engines and better with others but every dyno sheet that I've looked at had a little bit of a dip around 5500 rpm.

-
Back