dual exhaust system question

-

Rockatansky

Reaction score
so it seems most of the threads here are about header fitment and what mufflers to use and all.

i'm curious how many of you are running a dual system with stock manifolds?

after an engine swap i will definitely be going with headers and a better system, but with my basically stock old 273 i'm not trying to unbold manifolds and install headers.

that being said, the original single exhaust has pretty much had its time and needs replacing.

so my question is where is a good place to look for a manifold back dual setup, as most aftermarket systems are designed for headers and dont seem to have the right connections at the front for the manifolds.

i'm sure there are plenty of guys who arent running headers on their cars. what are you using?

its a stock '67 dart with a 273.

I have a 1967 Dodge dart that has had several different exhaust systems over the years. What is your long term goal? It used to be fairly inexpensive to go to local exhaust shop and have them build the exhaust from the manifolds back. Back in the day I would just bolt on a set of turbo mufflers. Problem is if and when you upgrade to headers you basically start over. I eventually wound up with headers and 2 1/2 inch pipe to flow masters all the way out the back. 67 is a pain to get large pipe all the way out the back as the fuel tank strap goes accrsoss the rear making clearance hard. 68 and newer bolted in front to back. If you are happy with it exiting under the vehicle in front of the axle then it is simple and cheep

I personally use a custom exhaust shop. But maybe it's cheap because I know him and my shop does a lot of work with him. However, I would definitely call some shops for an estimate. If they are too expensive, why not purchase the duel exhaust kit u would want and have an exhaust shop fab up pipes from ur manifolds to the exhaust where the headers would have ended up. Then in the future when u have headers u don't need to buy another exhaust.

I bought the TTI head pipes. they fit really nice from the manifolds to the cross member. Then I had the dual exhaust run from there out the back

If you attach the head pipes to the rest of the exhaust system with band clamps, you will be able to disassemble them easily when you go to disconnect them in order to install the headers later on. Note that TTI can supply the pipes that mate their headers to their exhaust system too. So you buy the stock-style dual system from them now, then later buy the headers and adapter pipes from them, and everything is a very straightforward bolt-together deal.

I found that the TTI system fit so well, I used no clamps at all, except to suspend the pipes from the hangers. I think I drilled a couple of locating holes and dropped in a short screw or two to prevent rotation.Dropping these pipes just take a couple of minutes, and most of those are spent jacking up the car high enough so my belly can slide under there.
My teener really liked dual 3 inchers, full length. She loved 'em .

I have a 318 with stock manifolds. I had a local muffler shop build the system. As cheap or cheaper than buying the parts and doing it myself.
C

-
Back