Dual Magnetic Dizzy Mopar Perf P4876735

-

72DMag

Reaction score
Got this on a trade and can't find alot of info on this forum or the web in general about it so wanted to start a thread. Part number is P4876735. It's strange to me to have dual ignition box hook ups. Is it so you can run an Msd 6 on the street then an msd 7 at the track? Idk.

Just seeing if anyone runs a setup like this or has more info on the part. Thanks!!

20240916_191734.jpg

20240916_191737.jpg

20240916_194457.jpg

Screenshot_20240916_194137_Chrome.jpg

Line up the reluctor with one of the pickups, is the other pickup offset slightly from the reluctor.

Probably a retard deal for high gear

Or possibly the same principle as a dual-point distributor. One slightly offset from the other, increases dwell and coil saturation...

or... hear me out... like a lean burn! so it's just hot garbage everywhere!

(just joking, but not really, but i would totally take a locked out unit if it showed up at my doorstep)

So the wires have the same color for both conectors. Let's say one is for retard timing and the other is for full throttle whomp. Does it matter which one gets used for which? I'm assuming no but again this is new to me :thankyou:

As I recall:

NASCAR and other endurance ran Dual Pickups
and ignition boxes that in case of a problem could
be switched from the drivers compartment without
stopping the car.

In most engines that are moderate enough to be street
driven for periods of time (Even in the many of bracket cars)
I have found No advantage in performance in running a MSD 7
over a MSD 6. That also includes all the "new improved' digital
controls over the older analog units. Also, I only get a year or two out
of the digital units before problems. The old analog units often run trouble
free for 10 or 20 years. They are what is on my dozen race cars our family
utilizes.

It’s for redundancy. We run a dual pick up and dual boxes in our race truck and can switch ignition systems on a toggle and a coil wire swap.

Not familure with that one and looks like a ford shaft. They use them in two ways redundant if they are set at the same advance or one retarred for easier starts on high compression engines. Have done a few of those Custome.

Last edited:
The info I found on it says it was developed for the NASCAR truck program.

Didn't they used to run dual pickups on the lean burn crap in the late 70's?

ah, the perfect excuse to build a dry sump motor!

who amongst us has not built a motor around a single part they thought was cool and wanted to run?

Why in hell would that distributor require the use of dry sump oiling?

Look at the shaft- it is extended and has the cam drive gear pinned on it. No need for an intermediate shaft at all. No intermediate shaft= no drive for an oil pump. Thus, dry sump required.
Missed that completely, thanks. I don’t see why you couldn’t cut that garbage off and forge a tip like a regular distributor and run it like that.

-
Back