Dual point distributor question

-

fireguyfire

Reaction score
I’m getting very close to being able to fire up my 67 barracuda for the first time since I bought it. I pulled the 273 commando engine and had it machined, rebuilt the heads, etc and I’ve now got everything installed and I’m ready to break in the cam and lifters since I had them ground.
Anyways, I had a dual points distributor and I was testing for spark at the points yesterday to make sure everything is good to go, and I noticed a lot of play in the distributor shaft; so much so that if I open the one set of points by lightly twisting a flat blade screw driver against the cam, the shaft moves over the opposite way and will partially move the other set of points, even though the shaft didn’t rotate at all which I’m guessing will lead to a nightmare of setting the dwell etc and getting the 2 sets perfectly set up.

My question is, can I get a bushing set and rebuild the thing, or do I need to send it out?

I’m getting very close to being able to fire up my 67 barracuda for the first time since I bought it. I pulled the 273 commando engine and had it machined, rebuilt the heads, etc and I’ve now got everything installed and I’m ready to break in the cam and lifters since I had them ground.
Anyways, I had a dual points distributor and I was testing for spark at the points yesterday to make sure everything is good to go, and I noticed a lot of play in the distributor shaft; so much so that if I open the one set of points by lightly twisting a flat blade screw driver against the cam, the shaft moves over the opposite way and will partially move the other set of points, even though the shaft didn’t rotate at all which I’m guessing will lead to a nightmare of setting the dwell etc and getting the 2 sets perfectly set up.

My question is, can I get a bushing set and rebuild the thing, or do I need to send it out?
@halifaxhops can fix you up. Send him a PM.

Without measuring it you are guessing. There's a procedure in the shop manual. I don't even remember, anymore, what the spec is. Of course you will move the points. The question is, "how much?" You can get a better idea by running it and checking the dwell, and better yet by looking at it with a scope. You don't HAVE to have an ignition scope you can view the primary pattern with almost any capable test oscilloscope

I don't think you need a scope for this. If you can feel the shaft wobble, that's too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you need a scope for this. If you can feel the shaft wobble, that's too much.
Read the book. They show 2* on a dwell meter and with the spring scale play test, .006" of side movement. I can certainly feel .006, so it's a matter of perception. These are bushed, not ball bearings. I have no idea what the OP is experiencing, or how hard he may be pushing.

I did not say you MUST use a scope, only that it is a handy way.

Also don't forget the possibility of play in the vacuum advance system. The dual point dist I have seen have a ball bearing advance plate, and if any of that gets sloppy you will also have trouble. On that note, do NOT forget to provide a ground jumper to the advance plate, because they have a poor ground through the bearing.

I'm pretty sure I have a real nice dp for a Commando that is missing some pieces. Shaft is "gud n tight" as the Nazis would say. Pm me if interested.

Thanks for the replies, and yes I’m aware of tge specs and it’s way out of spec. Not even worth spinning up on my Sun synchrograph to see where the curve is at.
The vacuum advance plate has zero play other than rotational so that is good.
I’ll contact the recommended gent and see what he thinks; thanks as always for the info.

There is a procedure in the FSM for re-bushing the dist.

The thing I love about the dual point is the dwell doesn't change with vacuum advance.

My OEM single point would drop the dwell so much the it would cause a misfire with too much vacuum advance

- Take the wife out to dinner. Buy her plenty of drinks....
- Obtain a glass cabinet & put it in the lounge..
- Put a sign 'Antiques' at the top of the glass..
- Put the DP inside....
- Buy an electronic dist....

-
Back