dual snorkel air cleaner for super six?

-

kenicb

Reaction score
I installed the two factory hood scoops on a 71 dart. The slant six engine is upgraded to a two barrel intake with dutra dual exhaust. Im thinking of fabricating a dual snorkel air cleaner that will reach out to the two ram air intakes coming through the hood.

Has anyone done this? Air flow is a weird science. So would a dual snorkel air cleaner even help with a ram-like effect? or will it just look like it does?

thanks for your thoughts. God Bless

Keni
here's a picture of the engine bay as is with out the fabricated dual snorkel air cleaner. the idea obviously is to point a snorkel towards each air hole opening.

Attachments

• DSC01236.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 609
Can't tell ya if it will or won't work, theoretically it should. I am planning on something similar. Yours looks much nicer than mine.

Some of the van air cleaners have a single snorkel and a 'trap door' on the side that opens when demand increases...

Will it help ? Yes.Will you tell a difference? Not enough to notice in every day driving.You will see some top end (speed) improvement.
Most factory dual snorkel air cleaners are for 4 bbl carbs.But you will be fabing anyway to hook this all up. My 88 Ram has the one with the extra trap door.The picture shows a homade set up on a six 4 bbl.For racing it will help.Actually picked up a 10th or 2.Cost was 10 bucks from the junk yard. The problem with slants in cool to cold weather is poor fuel atomisation in the intake manifold and causes fuel puddling.Slants like heat.Sure would look neat when you pop the hood !

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 501
nice! thanks for the feedback. Now i know it can be done and actually makes sense. I had the duct work on it before which sounded a little better. But you are right, it didn't make much of a difference in daily driving. I'll send up a pic when I get it all done. God Bless

Keni

well here ya go. I fabricated a SUPER SIX dual-snorkel intake that will line up with the hood scoop holes. Probably wont notice the difference a whole lot but it certainly looks functional!

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 424
-
Back