Ducktail spoiler

-
I bought one of the ABS spoilers like that from Direct Connection back in the day for my Demon. I like the style a lot and would put one on my Duster. I would have the mold made for the flat deck so you could notch it and have one for both style lids.

I have one of those. Showcarsrob was in the business awhile back, but collected bunch of negative customer feedback. Not on eBay so much as through his regular business. I bought one through eBay from him recently though and had no issues, even with shipping from Canada.

As far as the quality, it's pretty good for a fiberglass part. It will take a little finish work if you really want it to look nice, but that goes for pretty much every fiberglass part I've ever seen.

I also have an original DC spoiler, and another fiberglass version that doesn't have the screw pockets for mounting like the DC and the one showcarsrob makes. The DC version is ABS, thin, and very flexible. From what I understand the originals are somewhat prone to cracking, and were only attached with plastic push rivets originally. The DC version is slightly wider than the version showcarsrob makes, probably by a 1/4", so there's a little more trunk lid visible around the edge of the spoiler with the showcarsrob piece. Doesn't look bad, just a little different. And honestly, it would be pretty easy to take care of when you're prepping it for paint anyway.

The other fiberglass version without the screw pockets is lower quality. It would take a LOT of work to get it to fit properly. It's also heavier than even the showcarsrob version.

Of the three, I actually think the showcarsrob version is the best for actual use. The DC version is a better fit, but I'd worry about it's durability if the car gets used a lot (like mine does as a daily driver). The showcarsrob version will take a little finish work, but it will last a long time after that's done.

Just my observations. One of these days I should line up all the ones I have, take some pictures, and make a comparison thread. The topic comes up enough...

Attachments

• duster wing 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 191
I had cracking issues with the DC version indeed and the push pins sucked so I used pop rivets. I would like fiberglass much better I think. So what is the plan? How many do you need spoken for at what price?

I had cracking issues with the DC version indeed and the push pins sucked so I used pop rivets. I would like fiberglass much better I think. So what is the plan? How many do you need spoken for at what price?

He's not making them, showcarsrob makes and sells them on ebay, link is on the first post.

Ok, so there was a post on these and the guy was saying they would make him the mold for $100 and then $40 a pop for the spoilers. Must have gotten crossed when I went from phone to PC.....

Thanks, you answered my question. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these. I'll report back when I receive it.
I have one of those. Showcarsrob was in the business awhile back, but collected bunch of negative customer feedback. Not on eBay so much as through his regular business. I bought one through eBay from him recently though and had no issues, even with shipping from Canada.

As far as the quality, it's pretty good for a fiberglass part. It will take a little finish work if you really want it to look nice, but that goes for pretty much every fiberglass part I've ever seen.

I also have an original DC spoiler, and another fiberglass version that doesn't have the screw pockets for mounting like the DC and the one showcarsrob makes. The DC version is ABS, thin, and very flexible. From what I understand the originals are somewhat prone to cracking, and were only attached with plastic push rivets originally. The DC version is slightly wider than the version showcarsrob makes, probably by a 1/4", so there's a little more trunk lid visible around the edge of the spoiler with the showcarsrob piece. Doesn't look bad, just a little different. And honestly, it would be pretty easy to take care of when you're prepping it for paint anyway.

The other fiberglass version without the screw pockets is lower quality. It would take a LOT of work to get it to fit properly. It's also heavier than even the showcarsrob version.

Of the three, I actually think the showcarsrob version is the best for actual use. The DC version is a better fit, but I'd worry about it's durability if the car gets used a lot (like mine does as a daily driver). The showcarsrob version will take a little finish work, but it will last a long time after that's done.

Just my observations. One of these days I should line up all the ones I have, take some pictures, and make a comparison thread. The topic comes up enough...

I have one (without rivets like the showcarsrob version) here's what I did...

Out of the box it was crap with lots of warping on the topside towards the rear window. (It's fiberglass, I think these parts are just a basic shape you have to mess with anyways).
But it's fiberglass just sand it smooth. But it's too flimsy the sand?
Right in the center top edge there's about a half inch radius. Mine was cracked about a foot long. this radius was only gel coat with no fiberglass behind it. So it was just crumbling away. I bent a thin piece of metal around a good section to copy the shape. Rubbed the metal piece with car wax where it was going to be used as a mold and put it on the outside top broken edge. Flipped the spoiler over and cut out about 1 foot of the mid-stiffener. I applied (2) layers of fiberglass mat in the broken area. I re-glassed in the access hole I made.

Still, piece was flimsy and hard to finish sand.
So, I drilled 1/8" holes in that same mid-stiffener about every 6". I then sprayed a can of Expandable Spray Foam in the 1/8" holes. This really stiffened up the top edge.

There really isn't a great way to mount this spoiler without screwing it on from the outside, then putting filler over the recessed screws... I thought this sucked. Plus the spoiler is flimsy.

I set the spoiler off to the side and decided to make a (2) layer 1 foot wide panel for the bottom of the spoiler using the top side of my trunk lid. This is where you have to make a decision. Are you going to mount it finally with 3M Automotive Double Back Tape, or want it to be bolted on? I opted for the double back tape so I wouldn't have to deal with rusting holes in the future. Or you could make up a left & right 1/2" Thick x 1" Wide x 24" long strip of plastic that can accept (3) 1/4-20 threaded insert in each strip. Carefully position these L&R plastic mounting strips on top of the trunk panel you're making where it won't hit the spoiler shape. Drill these locations into your trunk lid & temporarily plug these holes. Glass in the plastic strips with 2 or 3 layers. Let it harden.

Take your spoiler now and set it on top of the new panel you've been making. If it fits, make up some fiberglass/resin bonding strips where the spoiler meets the new panel and glass the spoiler to the new panel. One side of my spoiler fit the trunk great, the other was warped and needed to be forced down to bond. I duct tapped it and placed a bag of potting soil on it.

The spoiler is now stiff. No flexing or further cracking. The boxed in bottom made a great point to be used the attach it to the car. It only took a few hours and we could sit around and drink a few beers, ate lunch and dinner while we waited for the fiberglass resin to set.

-
Back