dui tri power questions

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
just received new dui tri power for 318 demon with 284/484 cam, supposedly custom curved from dui. they say to set it at 12 initial with 10 from vac advance to give total of 22 initial and it will be all in by 3000. does this sound right? whats a good 12v power source to bypass ballast resistor ? i heard 10 ga. wire to starter will work?

The starter solenoid wire will only be hot in with the ignition switch in the crank position. Once you let off the switch and it returns to the run position that circuit will be dead.

Copied this from their website:

Q: Where do I connect the hot wire to make sure I get 12 volts to my DUI?

A: Your hot wire for the DUI must be at least 12 gauge and it can be connected to the starter solenoid or a fuse. The solenoid is usually
the easiest place to connect your hot wire to but make sure you use the terminal that is hot only when the key switch is in the start and
run position. Same with using a fuse, just make sure the voltage is present only in the start and run position

The hemi swaps run into something similar with a 12 volt source needed for the pcm in crank and run position.
Here is a thread with some ideas you could use :

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=265839

The vacuum advance is not to be confused with centrifugal advance. It is never "included" in the main system. It is supplemental to the the centrifugal system and is load sensitive as opposed to rpm sensitive. and runs completely independently,to the main system, and in addition to it. .

The starter solenoid wire will only be hot in with the ignition switch in the crank position. Once you let off the switch and it returns to the run position that circuit will be dead.

Copied this from their website:

Q: Where do I connect the hot wire to make sure I get 12 volts to my DUI?

A: Your hot wire for the DUI must be at least 12 gauge and it can be connected to the starter solenoid or a fuse. The solenoid is usually
the easiest place to connect your hot wire to but make sure you use the terminal that is hot only when the key switch is in the start and
run position. Same with using a fuse, just make sure the voltage is present only in the start and run position

THIS DOES NOT SEEM CORRECT

Not knowing how this is all wired up (I did not see the destructions posted) NORMALLY you do not want to use the solenoid / start connection for anything UNLESS you use it to fire a relay or use a series diode to feel off

This is because the additional device (distributor) may FEED BACK into the grounded solenoid and draw current off whatever else you have there

Found a diagram online, looks like they are using powers from the solenoid to power a relay .

Attachments

• HEIrelay.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 284
Yeh, but that diagram (notice the "I" terminal on the solenoid) IS NOT what you want to do on a Mopar and is exactly what I was referring to.

In Mopars, the original coil bypass circuit is in the ignition switch, and NOT the solenoid.

Here's what is going on above: In order to simply deal with the original GM "in harness" wire resistor, they are using the resistor to trigger a relay for the "running" voltage. They are using what would be the original factory "I" terminal on the solenoid for STARTING voltage.

Frankly, I don't see why you can't use the original Mopar brown bypass wire for 'start."

"What many" guys are doing is to wire the "ignition run" (IGN 1) and "bypass" (IGN 2) wires together, hook those to the HEI and coil +

If you want to use a relay as above, that' s fine, but DO NOT hook anything to your solenoid "start" terminal unless you use a relay or a series diode. "Should be" no need to wire it like that

i sorta figured that about the timing, right now with the mopar elec ign i am running 20 initial with vac adv plugged off, i think that 12 initial is there standard procedure, definitely not custom calibrated to my cam, 284/484 mp.

just got off phone with performance distributors, nothing new, dont know nothing about mopars or radical cams, said if i had problems send it back to set it up for my cam.WTF! they took all my specs when i ordered it! it was only 450$ canadian and all he can tell me is bypass the resistor!

just got off phone with performance distributors, nothing new, dont know nothing about mopars or radical cams, said if i had problems send it back to set it up for my cam.WTF! they took all my specs when i ordered it! it was only 450$ canadian and all he can tell me is bypass the resistor!

Can you post the destructions for this marvelous piece of equipment? I don't see 'im online

The "default" hookup for aftermarket "no ballast" ignition, either MSD or HEI, is to hook all the wires together off the ballast, and then use the old coil + wire for your "new" power feed.

1. "b" on the dyna mod connects to pos coil. 2."c" on the dyna mod connects to - coil. 3.open up spark plug gaps to .055 . 4. if your present ignition system utilizes a ballast resistor, bypass it because the tri-power ignition system requires full alternator voltage(14.0-14.5). 12 ga wire or 10 ga is what they told me, this is all i got

The photo I saw seems to indicate this is an HEI module, eh? If so, this is the default hook up we use Bear in mind this is for a Mopar distributor. This is looking down at the top of the module

attachment.php

In the above diagram, notice that coil+ and the top left terminal of the HEI go to 12V

ok. so what is the factory voltage source? their website says to run off the starter solenoid . keep in mind im color blind, i need my kids to tell me the color of certain wires

"Their website" is full of crap.

If you originally have a 2 terminal ballast, do as I said earlier above post 9

If you have a 4 pin Mopar ballast, you can eliminate a couple of things and clean up the wiring. Carefully unwrap or cut open the factory harness in the vicinity of the ballast, and pull out the wires going to the ECU connector. Replace the 4 pin ballast with a 2 pin, connect what's left together, and run off to the new distributor.

What year is your car? You have a shop manual?

72demon,was slant 6, someone put in 318, just lovin all the mickey mouse bs as i go along in this venture. 4 pin, as for the two pin idea, i dont know, there is nowhere to hook them up, two wires on one side of modul go to coil, the other 2 go into the distributor!yes i have a manual and its like reading latin, im good at mechanical, i fumble along with wiring, i sent them an email(not nice) about a refund or someone who knows a bit about something. the whole idea of this was to get rid of the ballast and ecu. i geuss i should of been happy with what i had , motor would rev to 7000 without missin a beat.

72 is a bad year, LOL, because the breakerless system was just coming out, so the diagram is an "afterthought" in that manual

This should be your original stuff. What is NOT show here is the bypass circuit which is BROWN going to the coil+ side of the ballast that is lower right on the ballast

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/3129021-5pin.jpg

Also not shown in that diagram is branches that come off to feed the alternator / regulator. The point is this:

WHAT YOU CAN ELIMINATE is

the two distributor pickup wires

and the wire going from the lower left of the ballast to the ECU

Take EVERYTHING else and hook it all together. Then run the original coil+ wire off to your new distributor power wire / connection

That should be all you need.

my lower left wire does not go to ecu, it has two wires, one short one to top left joining the one there that goes to ecu, other one disappears into the taped up mess, im losing my patience, may just box it back up and send it back, although i hate to give up. if i have to run it with a two pin resistor, what am i paying for?

You have to go by the "U" cutout in the diagram. Your mounting may be different so you are looking at it "upside down." If it is a 4 pin, one of the 4 only goes one place......to the ECU

NO you don't need a two pin. After you "clean up" the old ECU wiring,, take everything else that is left and hook it all together as mentioned.

Don't let things throw you off. Eliminate 1 pin at a time

You have one pin of the ECU going directly to the ballast and NO other place. eliminate

You have two going from ECU direct to old distributor........eliminate

One wire goes from ECU to the junction that is switched 12V.....either eliminate if it goes to a splice, or "bring it out" and use for you "new" run wire

One wire goes from ECU to coil NEG.....eliminate

"What's left" all gets spliced together.........no resistor

You need to check before you button it all up

"With the key in run"

The blue wire going to one field terminal of the alternator should be hot

Your ignition should get power

The voltage regulator blue wire should have power

then watch your test lamp or meter as you twist the key to start........the "run" wire for the ignition should now be getting power in both start and run.

Here's "part of" the entire point of this:

THERE IS only one "run" source under the hood....one wire comes out of the bulkhead, and originally branched off to feed the ignition resistor, the VR, the blue alternator field, and if equipped, some smog du dads 340s that came with idle solenoids, etc

BUT THE RUN wire goes "dead" in start. Originally this was taken care of by the "bypass" circuit.

This circuit is a separate contact in the ignition switch labled "IGN2" and is hot ONLY is "start." It normally is BROWN, and goes only one place....out through the bulkhead to the coil+ side of the ballast

THAT WIRE is what the "I" terminal on Ferds, Chivvies, and AMC does....gives you ignition power in "start." You must have "it" or it won't get ignition power in "start."

wow, thanks for your knowledge and patience, this last bit looks do-able, will give it a shot on my day off , sunday. thank you for everything, i sure hope i get er going

I need the 12 volt supply to be hot with the key in crank and run position for a 3g hemi install at the pcm . So I am just tying Ign1 and Ign2 right at the column where the wires come out of the ignition switch.
I am putting all new wiring in it ,so this gives me only 4 wires to deal with from the ignition switch.
I thought this picture would help explain how the ignition switch works and what the five wires you have are for.

Red- 12 volts input to ignition switch
Yellow>
Ign2 Brown> Both are hot in crank position only , and have separate contacts
Ign1 Blue- 12 volts when you release the key and its in run position
Black- 12 volts in Accessory position

So you can connect the brown and blue together here or out at the Resistor in the engine compartment for you source of 12 volts in crank /run.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0222.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 197
That is essentially what he needs to do, whether "under the hood" or "under the dash."

The lack of knowledge and documentation for these products online is astounding. You would think we are working on Studebakers, they way that outfit "talks"

-
Back