Dumb front end question ,,I think

-

Jims71duster

Reaction score
I took my k memer apart to change bal joints and to clean it up for a paint job. When I took the lower control arm of the k member I never noticed where the adjuster saddle was located in the control arm. Now when I go to install the lower control arm shaft into the k member it looks like i need to have the adjuster saddle in the right spot when I tighten the shaft onto the k member,,,,Annnd I dont know where that spot is,,or is something else wrong

There should not be any loose parts on or arouond the hole for the lower control arm shaft. It is a common problem (especially on cars that have been airborne) to have the braces knocked loose or the hole wallered out and the sleeve inside loose. Usually on 73 and later models I find this for some reason. If this is the area you are talking about you will need to have some welding done.

There should not be any loose parts on or arouond the hole for the lower control arm shaft. It is a common problem (especially on cars that have been airborne) to have the braces knocked loose or the hole wallered out and the sleeve inside loose. Usually on 73 and later models I find this for some reason. If this is the area you are talking about you will need to have some welding done.

nothing is loose,,I just dont know where the shaft needs to be before I tighten the nut

Ok you are talking about the ride hieght. Is your car equipped with the V-8 or slant 6 torsion bars? There is about 0.040 difference in diameter but a huge difference in how they make your car handle. To start with you can run them in till you just see the head of the adjuster bolt. Then let the car down and roll it back and forth a couple of times to settle the suspension and see where you are at. On a street car I like to keep an even distance between the bump stops so take a look at the clearances there and adjust as necessary. You will want to be on a flat surface and fine tune side to side with a measuring tape being sure to bounce the suspension a time or two after each adjustment and check it at rest again.

Ok you are talking about the ride hieght. Is your car equipped with the V-8 or slant 6 torsion bars? There is about 0.040 difference in diameter but a huge difference in how they make your car handle. To start with you can run them in till you just see the head of the adjuster bolt. Then let the car down and roll it back and forth a couple of times to settle the suspension and see where you are at. On a street car I like to keep an even distance between the bump stops so take a look at the clearances there and adjust as necessary. You will want to be on a flat surface and fine tune side to side with a measuring tape being sure to bounce the suspension a time or two after each adjustment and check it at rest again.

I have no ride hieght,,the k member is on my work bench,,,I took off the lower control arm,,,I dont know where the torsion adjuster saddle needs to be when I tighten the control arm back onto the k member.It almost seems to me that I have to wait until its all installed with the motor in and the ride hieght adjusted,,then tighten the nut on the lower control arm shaft,,,but Thats just a guess!

you can put the lca back on and tighten it down,,,you wont adjust the torsion bar adjuster till you have it back in and torsion bars are in

Jim, I know what your talking about, you just need to center it all, so to speak. If the control arm and k frame are right side up....... There's the 1"x1" lower bracket that the bolt threads thru.. Just need to be generally centered before assembly, then there's there the Elephant ear the bolt pushes on connected to the totrsion bar that also just center it when the weight is applied and it will all find a happy home.

You're asking about how the lower arm should be oriented relative to the K frame?

I wouldn't tighten it up till I had the K back in the car, and plugged the torsion bar back in to the LCA so that it has no twist to it. IF you tighten the LCA in the K before you install the Tbars, you might have to twist the bar one way or the other

That what you want to know?

don't you love getting all the different answers,,they are all right,,,just everybodies way of doing things,,,,I like 68 sedans version of not twisting,,,I've done 3 pst kits and never had any twist,,,but it makes sense,,,,I think the ultimate answer is though,,,,even after it is tightened ,,,,you can still adjust the torsion bars

LMAO,,we kinda danced around everything here,,,,but I think 68 sedan got me what I needed to know,,,thx everyone

-
Back