dumb new guy question

-

67moparfan

Reaction score
I am being told I need to have a window net, by a friend of a friend that has been racing for who knows how long. (he says he requires one and runs about the same ET as me)

I have looked (as best as I can) at the NHRA rules to find if this is true for me.
however, I dont know what my car is considered, stock, super stock, super street or whatever...

stock = full stock interior = i do not.
super stock = correct block, heads and carb. = i do not.
super street = full-bodied cars and weigh no less than 2,800 pounds = i do not (car weighs less than 2800)

I will be calling Speed world to see if they could correctly inform me, as I'd like to go this Saturday (for the first time this year).

please, if you know 100% one way or the other, tell me!

my car has a full cage, lexan windows, ran a best of 10.89 @ 122

thanks for reading!

if i were a little more patient, i think i found my own answer:
section 4a:
Roll cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 (*6.99) or quicker or any car exceeding 135 mph. **which means a window net is required**

but i still dont know what class my car falls in..

full cage....window net required....

check the new rule book for....I believe the new window nets need to be SFI now

if i were a little more patient, i think i found my own answer:
section 4a:
Roll cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 (*6.99) or quicker or any car exceeding 135 mph. **which means a window net is required**

but i still dont know what class my car falls in..

the roll cage is mandatory if the car does not have the OEM firewall and floor....if it does have the OEM firewall and floor...only a roll bar is required to 9.99.....but if you exceed the 135 mph you need a SFI certified roll cage....

I don't think a window net is required until 9.99 (6.39) with a stock firewall/floor pan/etc....I have never had one and my car runs 10.8's, and the tech guys never asked...but that's not saying much since tech at my local track can be a little too laid back at times.

"I don't think a window net is required until 9.99 (6.39) with a stock firewall/floor pan"

If you have a stock floor and firewall no net until faster than 9.99/135

The rules that apply to us are listed in the rule book under ET handicap racing and general regs. You don't need to worry about all those CLASS racing rules ( S SS ST etc.)

I dont have the OEM firewall.
the car has a GM style hardware installed top front/rear and lower rear already from when i bought the car, but no net came with it.

I'll have to figure out how to attach it to the front lower section too... I assume there was a cable tying it to the floor that had an eye-bolt ??

I've never looked at how they are attached to the lower front part.

any pics of how you guys did it?

-
Back