Dumb question...Holley 750 on a 440 intake

-

mc-g

Reaction score
I can feel I'm missing the obvious solution. I just got loaned a Holley 750 dp to try in place of my crappy Eddy 750.....I notice the studs don't match up. What do I need to get this sucker on there? Also I notice only one big vacuum line. Is that PCV or brake booster. And where would the vacuum line left out get hooked to? Thanks in advance!
Matt

Is this an early 440 intake???....because the later ones and aftermarket ones have the wider (Holley style)bolt pattern. If its an early 440 intake, it will have the narrow (early Carter AFB) pattern.

The large vac tap on the rear is for PCV, but can be used for power brake, if the manifold has no PB provision.

Small vac tap on front of baseplate is full manifold vacuum....slightly larger vac tap on side of metering block is ported distributor vacuum.

Hopes this helps.....

The base plate bolt pattern should be the same. The large port is for the PVC, it should have at least two more smaller ports, the one half way up the primary jet plate on the passenger side of the car is a ported vaccum nipple and is for the distributor spark advance. A picture would help.

Is this an early 440 intake???....because the later ones and aftermarket ones have the wider (Holley style)bolt pattern. If its an early 440 intake, it will have the narrow (early Carter AFB) pattern..

THIS

You probably need an adapter

I'm guessing I need an adapter. The current stud pattern fits Carter and eddy. Not wide enough for the Holley. I hit the local store and hope they have one hangin! Thanks fellas!

There is a vacuum port on the intake. It is a "Y" with a smaller size line running to a round canister on the passenger firewall that in turn has two same size lines running into the firewall. Don't know what it is. Id love to ditch that canister and lines and cap the firewall if i could. This use to be a/c car.

Eddy 750 will have large (Holley) bolt pattern, so the Holley should be a bolt-on. here's pics of early, and late 440 intakes...early has narrow pattern...late has wide Holley pattern......

On the Eddy 750, were you using the inner holes, or outter holes for mounting?

Attachments

• 440IntakeEarly.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 440IntakeLate.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 185
65Val, you need to read what you posted LOL!!

All the aftermarket Edlebrock and earlier Carter competition series I've seen have BOTH bolt hole patterns, so they will fit either late or early intake.

So he COULD have an early intake, and the Holley won't fit without an adapter

65Val, you need to read what you posted LOL!!

All the aftermarket Edlebrock and earlier Carter competition series I've seen have BOTH bolt hole patterns, so they will fit either late or early intake.

So he COULD have an early intake, and the Holley won't fit without an adapter

Thats why I asked if early or late intake. If early, he'll def. need an adapter. From the orig. post, it doesn't sound like he's all that familiar with Holley's, so I was asking basic questions to get to an answer for him.

its a mid 70's. the mounting holes are narrow. the eddy fits just fine, the Holley is wider and matched up with the outer holes on my spacer. really all i need is the right bolts to mount the holly to the spacer/adapter. I see how it mounts to it....I just need to get the bolts. I'm sure i can get the bolts without paying auto part prices...and still get good bolts. I just said bolts too many times in a short sentence.

So now my dilemma is what the heck that round canister is on my passenger side inner fender, because its using the vacuum off of my intake that i'll need for my brake booster. That IS the manifold vacuum back there behind and to the right of the carb right?

do i need it? I/m new to the world of hot rods....as far as working on them anyway. a man's gotta learn somehow. I taught myself dirtbike wrenching....time for cars!

-
Back